50 CFR 600.1013 - Fee payment and collection.
(b)Rate. NMFS will establish the fee rate. The fee rate may not exceed 5 percent of the delivery value. NMFS will establish the initial fee rate by calculating the fee revenue annually required to amortize a reduction loan over the reduction loan's term, projecting the annual delivery value, and expressing such fee revenue as a percentage of such delivery value. Before each anniversary of the initial fee rate determination, NMFS will recalculate the fee rate reasonably required to ensure reduction loan repayment. This will include any changed delivery value projections and any adjustment required to correct for previous delivery values higher or lower than projected.
(c)Payment and collection.
(1) The full fee is due and payable at the time of fish delivery. Each fish buyer shall collect the fee at the time of fish delivery by deducting the fee from the delivery value before paying, or promising to pay, the net delivery value. Each fish seller shall pay the fee at the time of fish delivery by receiving from the fish buyer the net delivery value, or the fish buyer's promise to pay the net delivery value, rather than the delivery value. Regardless of when the fish buyer pays the net delivery value, the fish buyer shall collect the fee at the time of fish delivery;
(2) In the event of any post-delivery payment for fee fish - including, but not limited to bonuses - whose amount depends on conditions that cannot be known until after fish delivery, that either first determines the delivery value or later increases the previous delivery value, the fish seller shall pay, and the fish buyer shall collect, at the time the amount of such post-delivery payment first becomes known, the fee that would otherwise have been due and payable as if the amount of the post-delivery payment had been known, and as if the post-delivery payment had consequently occurred, at the time of initial fish delivery;
(i) Each fish seller shall be deemed to be, for the purpose of the fee collection, deposit, disbursement, and accounting requirements of this subpart, both the fish seller and the fish buyer, and shall be responsible for all requirements and liable for any penalties under this subpart applicable to fish sellers and/or fish buyers, each time that a fish seller sells fee fish to:
(A) Any party whose place of business is not located in the United States, who does not take delivery or possession of the fee fish in the United States, who is not otherwise subject to this subpart, or to whom or against whom NMFS cannot otherwise apply or enforce this subpart,
(B) Any party who is a general food-service wholesaler or supplier, a restaurant, a retailer, a consumer, some other type of end-user, or some other party not engaged in the business of buying fish from fish sellers for the purpose of reselling the fish, either with or without processing the fish, or
(C) Any other party who the fish seller has good reason to believe is a party not subject to this subpart or to whom or against whom NMFS cannot otherwise apply or enforce this subpart,
(ii) In each such case the fish seller shall, with respect to the fee fish involved in each such case, discharge, in addition to the fee payment requirements of this subpart, all the fee collection, deposit, disbursement, accounting, record keeping, and reporting requirements that this subpart otherwise imposes on the fish buyer, and the fish seller shall be subject to all the penalties this subpart provides for a fish buyer's failure to discharge such requirements;
(4) Fee payment begins on the date NMFS specifies under the notification procedures of paragraph (d) of this section and continues without interruption at the fee rates NMFS specifies in accordance this subpart until NMFS determines that the reduction loan is fully repaid. If a reduction loan is, for any reason, not fully repaid at the maturity of the reduction loan's original amortization period, fee payment and collection shall continue until the reduction loan is fully repaid, notwithstanding that the time required to fully repay the reduction loan exceeds the reduction loan's initially permissible maturity.
(1) At least 30 days before the effective date of any fee or of any fee rate change, NMFS will publish a Federal Register notice establishing the date from and after which the fee or fee rate change is effective. NMFS will then also send, by U.S. mail, an appropriate notification to each affected fish seller and fish buyer of whom NMFS has notice;
(2) When NMFS determines that a reduction loan is fully repaid, NMFS will publish a Federal Register notice that the fee is no longer in effect and should no longer be either paid or collected. NMFS will then also send, by U.S. mail, notification to each affected fish seller and fish buyer of whom NMFS has knowledge;
(3) If NMFS fails to notify a fish seller or a fish buyer by U.S. mail, or if the fish seller or fish buyer otherwise does not receive the notice, of the date fee payments start or of the fee rate in effect, each fish seller is, nevertheless, obligated to pay the fee at the fee rate in effect and each fish buyer is, nevertheless, obligated to collect the fee at the fee rate in effect.
(e)Failure to pay or collect.
(1) If a fish buyer refuses to collect the fee in the amount and manner that this subpart requires, the fish seller shall then advise the fish buyer of the fish seller's fee payment obligation and of the fish buyer's fee collection obligation. If the fish buyer still refuses to properly collect the fee, the fish seller, within the next 7 calendar days, shall forward the fee to NMFS. The fish seller at the same time shall also advise NMFS in writing of the full particulars, including:
(2) If a fish seller refuses to pay the fee in the amount and manner that this subpart requires, the fish buyer shall then advise the fish seller of the fish buyer's collection obligation and of the fish seller's payment obligation. If the fish seller still refuses to pay the fee, the fish buyer shall then either deduct the fee from the delivery value over the fish seller's protest or refuse to buy the fee fish. The fish buyer shall also, within the next 7 calendar days, advise NMFS in writing of the full particulars, including:
(f)Implementation regulations at variance with this section. If any special circumstances in a reduction fishery require, in NMFS's judgment, fee payment and/or collection provisions in addition to, or different from, those in this section in order to accommodate the circumstances of, and practices in, a reduction fishery while still fulfilling the intent and purpose of this section, NMFS may, notwithstanding this section, include such provisions in the implementation regulations for such reduction fishery.
Title 50 published on 2015-08-22
The following are ALL rules, proposed rules, and notices (chronologically) published in the Federal Register relating to 50 CFR Part 600 after this date.
- 50 CFR 600.1011 — Reduction Methods and Other Conditions.
- 50 CFR 600.1108 — Longline Catcher Processor Subsector of the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands (BSAI) Non-Pollock Groundfish Fishery Program.
- 50 CFR 600.1107 — Southeast Alaska Purse Seine Salmon Fishery Capacity Reduction Program, Including Fee Payment and Collection System.
- 50 CFR 600.1102 — Pacific Coast Groundfish Fee.
- 50 CFR 600.1014 — Fee Collection Deposits, Disbursements, Records, and Reports.
- 50 CFR 600.1000 — Definitions.
- 50 CFR 600.1003 — Content of a Request for a Financed Program.
- 50 CFR 600.1103 — Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands (BSAI) Crab Species Program.
- 50 CFR 600.1017 — Prohibitions and Penalties.
- 50 CFR 600.1104 — Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands (BSAI) Crab Species Fee Payment and Collection System.
- 50 CFR 600.1010 — Referenda.
- 50 CFR 600.1105 — Longline Catcher Processor Subsector of the Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands (BSAI) Non-Pollock Groundfish Fishery Program.
- 50 CFR 600.1012 — Reduction Loan.
- 50 CFR 600.1106 — Longline Catcher Processor Subsector Bering Sea and Aleutian Islands (BSAI) Non-Pollock Groundfish Species Fee Payment and Collection System.
- 50 CFR 600.1008 — Implementation Plan and Implementation Regulations.