7 CFR 1403.4 - Demand for payment of debts.
(a) When a debt is due CCC, an initial written demand for payment of such amount shall be mailed or hand-delivered to the debtor. If the debt is not paid in full by the date specified in the initial demand letter, or if a repayment schedule acceptable to CCC has not been arranged with the debtor, the initial demand may be followed by two subsequent written demands at approximately 30-day intervals. The initial or subsequent demand letters shall specify the following:
(3) The applicable late payment interest rate.
(i) If a late payment interest rate is specified in the contract, agreement or program regulation, the debtor shall be informed of that rate and the date from which the late payment interest has been accruing;
(4) CCC's intent, if applicable, to collect the debt 30 days from the date of the initial demand letter, or other applicable period of time, by administrative offset from any CCC or FSA payments due or to become due to the debtor, and that the claim may be reported to other agencies of the Federal government for offset from any amounts due or to become due to the debtor;
(5) If not previously provided, the debtor's right to request administrative review by an authorized CCC official, and the proper procedure for making such request. If the request relates to the:
(i) Existence or amount of the debt, it must be made within 15 days from the date of the letter, unless a different time period is specified in the contract, agreement or program regulation;
(ii) Appropriateness of reporting to a credit reporting agency, it must be made within 30 days from the date of the letter; or
(iii) Appropriateness of referral to IRS for tax refund offset, it must be made within 60 days from the date of the letter.
(8) That if any portion of the debt remains unpaid or if a repayment schedule satisfactory to CCC has not been arranged 90 days after the due date, an additional interest rate shall be assessed on the unpaid balance of the debt as prescribed in § 1403.9(e);
(10) CCC's intent, if applicable, under § 1403.18, to refer any delinquent debt to the IRS, no sooner than 60 days from the date of the letter, to be considered for offset against any tax refund due or to become due the debtor.
(b) When CCC deems it necessary to protect the Government's interest, written demand may be preceded by other appropriate actions.