7 CFR 1403.8 - Withholding.
(a) Withholding of a payment prior to the completion of an applicable offset procedure may be made from amounts payable to a debtor by CCC to ensure that the interests of CCC and the United States will be protected as provided in this section.
(b) A payment may be withheld to protect the interests of CCC or the United States only if CCC determines that:
(1) There has been a serious breach of contract or violation of program requirements and the withholding action is considered necessary to protect the financial interests of CCC;
(2) There is substantial evidence of violations of criminal or civil frauds statutes and criminal prosecution or civil frauds action is of primary importance to program operations of CCC;
(3) Prior experience with the debtor indicates that collection will be difficult if amounts payable to the debtor are not withheld;
(4) There is doubt that the debtor will be financially able to pay a judgment on the claim of CCC;
(5) The facts available to CCC are insufficient to determine the amount to be offset or the proper payee;
(6) A judgment on a claim of CCC has been obtained; or
(7) Such action has been requested by the Department of Justice.
(c) Except for debts due CCC or FSA, withholding action by CCC on amounts payable to debtors of other Government agencies may not be made unless requested by the Department of Justice.