7 CFR 3.31 - Mandatory referral for cross-servicing.
(a) Agencies shall transfer to Treasury any legally enforceable nontax debt in excess of $25, or combination of debts less than $25 that exceeds $25 (in the case of a debtor whose taxpayer identification number (TIN) is unknown the applicable threshold is $100), that has or have been delinquent for a period of 180 days in accordance with31 CFR 285.12 so that Treasury may take appropriate action on behalf of the creditor agency to collect or compromise, or to suspend or terminate collection, of the debt, including use of debt collection centers and private collection contractors to collect the debt or terminate collection action.
(1) Is in litigation or foreclosure (see31 CFR 385.12 (d)(2) for definition);
(2) Will be disposed of under an approved asset sale program (see31 CFR 285.12(d)(3)(i) for definition);
(3) Has been referred to a private collection contractor for a period of time acceptable to Treasury;
(5) Will be collected under internal offset procedures within three years after the debt first became delinquent;
(6) Is exempt from this requirement based on a determination by the Secretary of the Treasury that exemptionfor a certain class of debt is in the best interest of the United States. Federal agencies may request that the Secretary of the Treasury exempt specific classes of debts. Any such request by an agency must be sent to the Fiscal Assistant Secretary of the Treasury by the USDA CFO.
(c) A debt is considered 180 days delinquent for purposes of this section if it is 180 days past due and is legally enforceable. A debt is past due if it has not been paid by the date specified in the agency's initial written demand for payment or applicable agreement or instrument (including a post-delinquency payment agreement) unless other satisfactory payment arrangements have been made. A debt is legally enforceable if there has been a final agency determination that the debt, in the amount stated, is due and there are no legal bars to collection action. Where, for example, a debt is the subject of a pending administrative review process required by statute or regulation and collection action during the review process is prohibited, the debt is not considered legally enforceable for purposes of mandatory transfer to Treasury and is not to be transferred even if the debt is more than 180 days past due. When a final agency determination is made after an administrative appeal or review process (including administrative review under subpart F), the creditor agency must transfer such debt to Treasury, if more than 180 days delinquent, within 30 days after the date of the final decision.
Title 7 published on 2015-01-01.
No entries appear in the Federal Register after this date, for 7 CFR Part 3.