7 CFR 3.70 - Scope.
(a) The provisions of this subpart set forth USDA procedures for the collection of a Federal employee's pay by salary offset to satisfy certain valid and past due debts owed the government.
(b) These regulations apply to:
(1) Current USDA employees and employees of other agencies who owe debts to USDA; and
(2) Current USDA employees who owe debts to other agencies.
(c) These regulations do not apply to debts owed by FSA county executive directors or county office employees. Salaries of those employees are subject to administrative offset as provided in 7 CFR part 792 or part 1403.
(d) These regulations do not apply to debts or claims arising under the Internal Revenue Code of 1954 (26 U.S.C. 1 et seq.); the tariff laws of the United States; or to any case where collection of a debt by salary offset is explicitly provided for or prohibited by another statute (e.g. travel advances in 5 U.S.C. 5705 or employee training expense in 5 U.S.C. 4108).
(e) These regulations identify the types of salary offset available to USDA, as well as certain rights provided to the employee, which include a written notice before deductions begin and the opportunity to petition for a hearing and to receive a written decision if a hearing is granted. The rights provided by this section do not extend to:
(1) Any adjustment to pay arising out of an employee's election of coverage or a change in coverage under a Federal benefits program requiring periodic deductions from pay, if the amount to be recovered was accumulated over four pay periods or less;
(2) A routine intra-agency adjustment of pay that is made to correct an overpayment of pay attributable to clerical or administrative errors or delays in processing pay documents, if the overpayment occurred within the four pay periods preceding the adjustment and, at the time of such adjustment, or as soon thereafter as practical, the individual is provided written notice of the nature and the amount of the adjustment and point of contact for contesting such adjustment; or
(3) Any adjustment to collect a debt amounting to $50 or less, if, at the time of such adjustment, or as soon thereafter as practical, the individual is provided written notice of the nature and the amount of the adjustment and a point of contact for contesting such adjustment.
(f) These regulations do not preclude an employee from:
(2) Requesting waiver of any other type of debt, if waiver is available by statute; or
(3) Questioning the amount or validity of a debt, in the manner prescribed by this part.
(g) Nothing in these regulations precludes the compromise, suspension or termination of collection actions where appropriate under USDA regulations contained elsewhere.