Pt. 1940, Subpt. G, Exh. L
Exhibit L to Subpart G of Part 1940
—Exceptions to Restrictions of Coastal Barrier Resources Act
Section 6 Exceptions*
*Quoted from section 6 of the Act, Pub. L. 97-348.
(a) Notwithstanding section 5, the appropriate Federal officer, after consultation with the Secretary, may make Federal expenditures or financial assistance available within the Coastal Barrier Resources System for—
(1) Any use or facility necessary for the exploration, extraction, or transportation of energy resources which can be carried out only on, in, or adjacent to coastal water areas because the use or facility requires access to the coastal water body;
(2) The maintenance of existing channel improvements and related structures, such as jetties, and including the disposal of dredge materials related to such improvements;
(3) The maintenance, replacement, reconstruction, or repair, but not the expansion, of publicly owned or publicly operated roads, structures, or facilities that are essential links in a larger network or system;
(4) Military activities essential to national security;
(5) The construction, operation, maintenance, and rehabilitation of Coast Guard facilities and access thereto; and
(6) Any of the following actions or projects, but only if the making available of expenditures or assistance therefor is consistent with the purposes of this Act:
(A) Projects for the study, management, protection and enhancement of fish and wildlife resources and habitats, including, but not limited to, acquisition of fish and wildlife habitats and related lands, stabilization projects for fish and wildlife habitats, and recreational projects.
(B) The establishment, operation, and maintenance of air and water navigation aids and devices, and for access thereto.
(C) Projects under the Land and Water Conservation Fund Act of 1965 (16 U.S.C. 4601-4 through 11) and the Coastal Zone Management Act of 1972 (16 U.S.C. 1452
(D) Scientific research, including but not limited to aeronautical, atmospheric, space, geologic, marine, fish and wildlife and other research, development and applications.
(E) Assistance for emergency actions essential to the saving of lives and the protection of property and the public health and safety, if such actions are performed pursuant to sections 305 and 306 of the Disaster Relief Act of 1974 (42 U.S.C. 5145
) and section 1362 of the National Flood Insurance Act of 1968 (42 U.S.C. 4103
) and are limited to actions that are necessary to alleviate the emergency.
(F) The maintenance, replacement, reconstruction, or repair, but not the expansion, of publicly owned or publicly operated roads, structures, or facilities.
(G) Nonstructural projects for shoreline stabilization that are designed to mimic, enhance, or restore natural stabilization systems.
(b) For purposes of subsection (a)(2), a channel improvement or a related structure shall be treated as an existing improvement or an existing related structure only if all, or a portion, of the moneys for such improvement or structure was appropriated before the date of the enactment of this Act.