§ 147.26Procedures for establishing isolation and maintaining sanitation and good management practices for the control of Salmonella and Mycoplasma infections.
(a) The following procedures are required for participation under the U.S. Sanitation Monitored, U.S. M. Gallisepticum Clean, U.S. M. Synoviae Clean, U.S. S. Enteritidis Monitored, and U.S. S. Enteritidis Clean classifications:
(1) Allow no visitors except under controlled conditions to minimize the introduction of Salmonella and Mycoplasma. Such conditions must be approved by the Official State Agency and the Service;
(2) Maintain breeder flocks on farms free from market birds and other domesticated fowl. Follow proper isolation procedures as approved by the Official State Agency;
(3) Dispose of all dead birds by locally approved methods.
(b) Recommended procedures:
(1) Avoid the introduction of Salmonella, Mycoplasma gallisepticum, or Mycoplasma synoviae infected poultry;
(2) Prevent indirect transmission from outside sources through contaminated equipment, footwear, clothing, vehicles, or other mechanical means;
(3) Provide adequate isolation of breeder flocks to avoid airborne transmission from infected flocks;
(4) Minimize contact of breeder flocks with free-flying birds;
(5) Establish a rodent control program to keep the rodent population and other pests under control;
(6) Tailor vaccination programs to needs of farm and area;
(7) Clean and disinfect equipment after each use;
(8) Provide clean footwear and provide an adequate security program;
(9) Clean and disinfect houses before introducing a new flock;
(10) Use clean, dry litter free of mold;
(11) Keep accurate records of death losses;
(12) Seek services of veterinary diagnostician if unaccountable mortality or signs of disease occur;
(13) Adopt and maintain a clean-egg program.
(14) Use only crates and vehicles that have been cleaned and disinfected in accordance with the provisions of § 147.24(a) to haul live poultry to and from the premises.
(Approved by the Office of Management and Budget under control number 0579-0007)