9 CFR § 332.3 - Requirements for establishments; ineligible establishments.
(2) The establishment employed more than 25 employees but fewer than 35 employees as of June 18, 2008. If selected to participate in a cooperative interstate shipment program, an establishment under this paragraph must employ on average no more than 25 employees as of July 1, 2014, or it must transition to become an official establishment as provided in § 332.11 of this part.
(b) An establishment that has 25 or fewer employees based on the following standards is considered to have 25 or fewer employees on average for purposes of this part.
(1) All individuals, both supervisory and non-supervisory, employed by the establishment on a full-time, part-time, or temporary basis whose duties involve handling the meat or meat food products prepared by the establishment are counted when calculating the total number of employees.
(2) All individuals employed by the establishment from a temporary employee agency, professional employee organization, or leasing concern whose duties involve handling the meat or meat food products prepared by the establishment are counted when calculating the total number of employees.
(3) The average number of employees is calculated for each of the pay periods for the preceding 12 calendar months.
(4) Part-time and temporary employees are counted the same as full-time employees.
(5) If the establishment has not been in business for 12 months, the average number of employees is calculated for each of the pay periods in which the establishment has been in business.
(7) The total number of employees can never exceed 35 individuals at any given time, regardless of the average number of employees.
(c) The following establishments are ineligible to participate in a cooperative interstate shipment program:
(1) Establishments that employ more than 25 employees on average (except as provided under paragraph (a)(2) of this section);
(2) Establishments operating under a Federal-State program as provided in § 321.2 of this subchapter as of June 18, 2008;
(3) Official establishments;
(5) Establishments operating under a cooperative State meat inspection that employed more than 35 employees as of June 18, 2008, that were reorganized on a later date by the person that controlled the establishment as of June 18, 2008;
(6) Establishments that are the subject of a transition under § 332.11 of this part;
(7) Establishments that are in violation of the Act;
(d) An establishment that meets the conditions in paragraph (a) of this section and that is not an ineligible establishment under paragraph (c) of this section may apply for selection into a cooperative interstate shipment program through the State in which the establishment is located.