Bona fide association
Bona fide association means, with respect to health insurance coverage offered in a State, an association that meets the following conditions:
(1) Has been actively in existence for at least 5 years.
(2) Has been formed and maintained in good faith for purposes other than obtaining insurance.
(3) Does not condition membership in the association on any health status-related factor relating to an individual (including an employee of an employer or a dependent of any employee).
(4) Makes health insurance coverage offered through the association available to all members regardless of any health status-related factor relating to the members (or individuals eligible for coverage through a member).
(5) Does not make health insurance coverage offered through the association available other than in connection with a member of the association.
(6) Meets any additional requirements that may be imposed under State law.
45 CFR § 144.103
For purposes of parts 146 (group market), 147 (group and individual market), 148 (individual market), and 150 of this subchapter, the following definitions apply unless otherwise provided: