Mitigation, as defined in 40 CFR 1508.20, may include one or more of the following:
(1) Avoiding the impact altogether by not taking a certain action or parts of an action;
(2) Minimizing impacts by limiting the degree or magnitude of the action and its implementation;
(3) Rectifying the impact by repairing, rehabilitating, or restoring the affected environment;
(4) Reducing or eliminating the impact over time by preservation and maintenance operations during the life of the action; and
(5) Compensating for the impact by replacing, or providing substitute, resources or environments.