Participantmeans a person who is participating in the educational benefits program established under Chapter 32. This includes:
(1) A person who has enrolled in and is making contributions by monthly payroll deduction to the fund.
(2) Those individuals who have contributed to the fund and have not disenrolled (i.e., users or potential users of benefits).
(3) A person who has enrolled in and is having monthly contributions to the fund made for him or her by the Secretary of Defense.
(4) A person who has made a lump-sum contribution to the fund in lieu of or in addition to monthly contributions deducted from his or her military pay.
(5) Those individuals who have contributed to the fund and—
(i) Have been automatically disenrolled as provided in § 21.5060(b)(3) of this part,
(ii) Whose funds have been transferred to the Treasury Department as provided in § 21.5064(b)(4)(iii) of this part, and
(iii) Who are found to have qualified for an extended period of eligibility as provided in § 21.5042 of this part.