(1) The movement of any conveyance or the transportation of persons or property, including any portion of such movement or transportation which is entirely within a State or possession, (i) from a point of origin in any State or possession to a point of destination in any other State or possession, or (ii) between a point of origin and a point of destination in the same State or possession but through any other State, possession, or contiguous foreign country.
(2) Interstate traffic does not include the following:
(i) The movement of any conveyance which is solely for the purpose of unloading persons or property transported from a foreign country, or loading persons or property for transportation to a foreign country.
(ii) The movement of any conveyance which is solely for the purpose of effecting its repair, reconstruction, rehabilitation, or storage.
(i) Possession. Any of the possessions of the United States, including Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
(j) Potable water. Water which meets the standards prescribed in the Environmental Protection Agency's Primary Drinking Water Regulations as set forth in 40 CFR part 141 and the Food and Drug Administration's sanitation regulations as set forth in this part and part 1240 of this chapter.
(k) State. Any State, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands.
(l) Utensil. Includes any kitchenware, tableware, glassware, cutlery, containers, or equipment with which food or drink comes in contact during storage, preparation, or serving.
(m) Vessel. Any passenger-carrying, cargo, or towing vessel exclusive of:
(1) Fishing boats including those used for shell-fishing;
(2) Tugs which operate only locally in specific harbors and adjacent waters;
(3) Barges without means of self-propulsion;
(4) Construction-equipment boats and dredges; and
(5) Sand and gravel dredging and handling boats.
21 CFR § 1250.3
As used in this part, terms shall have the following meaning: