Foreign person. For purposes of section 6038A, a foreign person is
(1) Any individual who is not a citizen or resident of the United States, but not including any individual for whom an election under section 6013 (g) or (h) (relating to an election to file a joint return) is in effect;
(2) Any individual who is a citizen of any possession of the United States and who is not otherwise a citizen or resident of the United States;
(3) Any partnership, association, company, or corporation that is not created or organized in the United States or under the law of the United States or any State thereof;
(4) Any foreign trust or foreign estate, as defined in section 7701(a)(31); or
(5) Any foreign government (or agency or instrumentality thereof). To the extent that a foreign government is engaged in the conduct of commercial activity as defined under section 892 and the regulations thereunder, it will be treated as a foreign person under section 6038A and this section only for purposes of the information reporting requirements of § 1.6038A–2. A foreign government will not be treated as a foreign related party for purposes of §§ 1.6038A–3 and 1.6038A–5.