Local educational agency
Local educational agency (LEA) is defined in section 8013. Except for an SEA qualifying under section 8005(d)(4), the term includes an SEA only so long as -
(1) The SEA directly operates and maintains the facilities for providing free public education for the children it claims in its application;
(2) The children claimed by the SEA actually are attending those State-operated facilities; and
(3) The SEA does not, through a tuition arrangement, contract, or by any other means, pay another entity to operate and maintain facilities for those children.
34 CFR § 222.2
(1) The following terms defined in section 8013 of the Act apply to this part:
(2) The following term defined in § 222.30 applies to this part: