Pre-transportation function means a function specified in the HMR that is required to assure the safe transportation of a hazardous material in commerce, including -
(1) Determining the hazard class of a hazardous material.
(2) Selecting a hazardous materials packaging.
(3) Filling a hazardous materials packaging, including a bulk packaging.
(4) Securing a closure on a filled or partially filled hazardous materials package or container or on a package or container containing a residue of a hazardous material.
(5) Marking a package to indicate that it contains a hazardous material.
(6) Labeling a package to indicate that it contains a hazardous material.
(7) Preparing a shipping paper.
(8) Providing and maintaining emergency response information.
(9) Reviewing a shipping paper to verify compliance with the HMR or international equivalents.
(10) For each person importing a hazardous material into the United States, providing the shipper with timely and complete information as to the HMR requirements that will apply to the transportation of the material within the United States.
(11) Certifying that a hazardous material is in proper condition for transportation in conformance with the requirements of the HMR.
(12) Loading, blocking, and bracing a hazardous materials package in a freight container or transport vehicle.
(13) Segregating a hazardous materials package in a freight container or transport vehicle from incompatible cargo.
(14) Selecting, providing, or affixing placards for a freight container or transport vehicle to indicate that it contains a hazardous material.