Certified registered nurse anesthetist
Certified registered nurse anesthetist means a registered nurse who:
(1) Is licensed as a registered professional nurse by the State in which the nurse practices;
(2) Meets any licensure requirements the State imposes with respect to non-physician anesthetists;
(3) Has graduated from a nurse anesthesia educational program that meets the standards of the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Programs, or such other accreditation organization as may be designated by the Secretary; and
(4) Meets the following criteria:
(i) Has passed a certification examination of the Council on Certification of Nurse Anesthetists, the Council on Recertification of Nurse Anesthetists, or any other certification organization that may be designated by the Secretary; or
(ii) Is a graduate of a program described in paragraph (3) of this definition and within 24 months after that graduation meets the requirements of paragraph (4)(i) of this definition.
(5) For certified registered nurse anesthetist services, the certified registered nurse anesthetist may review and verify (sign and date), rather than re-document, notes in a patient's medical record made by physicians; residents; nurses; medical, physician assistant, and advanced practice registered nurse students; or other members of the medical team, including, as applicable, notes documenting the certified registered nurse anesthetist's presence and participation in the service.