Miscellaneous organic chemical manufacturing process
Miscellaneous organic chemical manufacturing process means all equipment which collectively function to produce a product or isolated intermediate that are materials described in 63.2435. For the purposes of this subpart, process includes any, all or a combination of reaction, recovery, separation, purification, or other activity, operation, manufacture, or treatment which are used to produce a product or isolated intermediate. A process is also defined by the following:
(1) Routine cleaning operations conducted as part of batch operations are considered part of the process;
(2) Each nondedicated solvent recovery operation is considered a single process;
(3) Each nondedicated formulation operation is considered a single process that is used to formulate numerous materials and/or products;
(4) Quality assurance/quality control laboratories are not considered part of any process; and
(5) Ancillary activities are not considered a process or part of any process.
(6) The end of a process that produces a solid material is either up to and including the dryer or extruder, or for a polymer production process without a dryer or extruder, it is up to and including the die plate or solid-state reactor, except in two cases. If the dryer, extruder, die plate, or solid-state reactor is followed by an operation that is designed and operated to remove HAP solvent or residual HAP monomer from the solid, then the solvent removal operation is the last step in the process. If the dried solid is diluted or mixed with a HAP-based solvent, then the solvent removal operation is the last step in the process.
40 CFR § 63.2550
For an affected source complying with the requirements in subpart SS of this part 63, the terms used in this subpart and in subpart SS of this part 63 have the meaning given them in 63.981, except as specified in 63.2450(k)(2) and (m), 63.2470(c)(2), 63.2475(b), and paragraph (i) of this section.