Ala. Admin. Code r. 335-3-4-.07 - Kraft Pulp Mills
(1) Applicability. This Rule applies to manufacturing facilities for the pulping of wood and the preparation and recovery of associated chemicals by the kraft process, including combined recovery systems serving other processes such as neutral sulfite pulping.
(2) No person shall cause or permit the emission of particulate matter from any kraft pulp mill in excess of the amounts provided as follows:
(a) From all recovery furnaces, not more than 4.0 pounds per ton of pulp.
(b) From all smelt dissolver vents, not more than 0.5 pounds per ton.
(c) From all lime kilns, not more than 1.0 pounds per ton of pulp.
(3) The pulp production rates for kraft mills referred to in this Rule shall be tons of unbleached air-dried kraft pulp.
(4) Notwithstanding the specific limits set forth in this Rule, in order to maintain the lowest possible emission of air contaminants, the highest and best practicable treatment and control for particulate matter currently available shall be provided for new kraft pulp mills.
(5) For chemical recovery boilers constructed before 1972 at kraft pulp mills in Autauga County, the allowable particulate emissions shall be 1.11 pounds per air-dried ton of pulp.
(6) In lieu of the particulate emission limitations contained in subparagraph (2)(a) of this Rule, for chemical recovery boilers constructed before 1973 at pulp mills in Talladega County, the allowable particulate emission limits shall be 2.5 pounds per air-dried ton of unbleached kraft pulp.
(7) In lieu of the particulate emission limitations contained in subparagraph (2)(b) of this Rule, for smelt dissolver tanks constructed before 1973 at pulp mills in Talladega County, the allowable particulate emission limit shall be 0.3 pounds per air-dried ton of unbleached kraft pulp.
Authors: James W. Cooper, John E. Daniel
Statutory Authority: Code of Ala. 1975, §§ 22-28-14, 22-22A-5, 22-22A-6, 22-22A-8.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
No prior version found.