Sec. R13-9-101 - Definitions
§ R13-9-101. Definitions
In this Chapter, unless otherwise specified:
1. "Adequate documentation" has the same meaning as prescribed in A.R.S. § 13-3112(E)(6).
2. "Administrative completeness review time-frame" has the same meaning as prescribed in A.R.S. § 41-1072.
3. "Applicant" means an individual or organization that submits an application form and the required fee to the Department for:
a. A Concealed Weapons Permit,
b. Renewal of a Concealed Weapons Permit,
c. Firearms-safety instructor authorization,
d. Renewal of firearms-safety instructor authorization,
e. Firearms-safety training organization authorization,
f. A certificate of firearms proficiency, or
g. Recognition as a firearms-proficiency instructor.
4. "Certificate of firearms proficiency" means a document issued by the Department to an individual who meets the requirements of LEOSA.
5. "Classifiable fingerprints" means fingerprint impressions that meet the criteria of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, as contained in Form FD-258 (Rev. 5-11-99), published by the U.S. Government Printing Office. This form is incorporated by reference and available from the Department and the FBI (Attn: Logistical Support Unit, CJIS Division, 1000 Custer Hollow Road, Clarksburg, WV 26306) or online at www.bookstore.gpo.gov [File Link Not Available]. The material incorporated by reference contains no future editions or amendments.
6. "Completion certificate" means adequate documentation that an individual completed an eight-hour, Department-authorized, firearms-safety training program.
7. "Department" means the Department of Public Safety.
8. "Director" means the Director of the Arizona Department of Public Safety.
9. "Firearm" has the same meaning as prescribed in A.R.S. § 13-3101.
10. "Firearms-safety instructor" means an individual who is authorized under this Chapter to conduct firearms-safety training.
11. "Firearms-safety training program" means a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a firearm that is authorized by the Department and meets the requirements of A.R.S. § 13-3112(O).
12. "Honorably retired peace officer" means an individual who separates from a law enforcement agency after at least 10 years of service, receives a medical, disability, or regular retirement pension or annuity as a result of qualifying years of service as a peace officer, and has a letter from the law enforcement agency confirming these facts.
13. "LEOSA" means the federal Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act of 2004.
14. "LEOSA instructor" means an individual who is certified by POST as a firearms instructor and authorized by the Department to provide training to individuals seeking a certificate of firearms proficiency.
15. "Live ammunition" means a cartridge consisting of a case, primer, propellant powder, and a single metallic projectile, no less than 30 grain, and with a velocity more than 500 feet per second when fired. Live ammunition does not include simulated, marking, or rubber projectile ammunition.
16. "NRA" means the National Rifle Association.
17. "Organization" means a person or entity legally established under all applicable federal, state, city, and county law and authorized to conduct business in Arizona that is authorized by the Department to teach a Department-authorized firearms-safety training program to applicants.
18. "Original application" means a form referenced in this Chapter that is not a copy and contains the original signature of an applicant.
19. "Party" has the same meaning as prescribed in A.R.S. § 41-1001.
20. "Peace officer" has the same meaning as prescribed in A.R.S. § 13-105.
21. "Permit" means an identification card issued by the Department that authorizes the named holder to carry concealed weapons subject to the requirements of A.R.S. § 13-3112 and this Chapter.
22. "Permit holder" means an individual who has a Department-issued permit to carry concealed weapons.
23. "POST" means the Arizona Peace Officer Standards and Training Board.
24. "Prohibited possessor" has the same meaning as prescribed in A.R.S. § 13-3101(6) and means any individual to whom it is unlawful to sell or otherwise dispose of a firearm under 18 U.S.C. 922(d) or (g).
25. "Qualified retired officer" means a qualified retired law enforcement officer as defined by 18 U.S.C. 926 C(c).
26. "Resident" has the same meaning as prescribed in A.R.S. § 28-2001.
27. "Responsible party" means an individual who is responsible for administration of an authorized firearms-safety training organization and who serves as the contact between the organization and the Department.
28. "Substantive review time-frame" has the same meaning as prescribed in A.R.S. § 41-1072.
29. "Weapon" has the same meaning as deadly weapon as defined in A.R.S. § 13-3101.(Adopted effective January 12, 1996 (Supp. 96-1). Amended by final rulemaking at 10 A.A.R. 4752, effective January 1, 2005 (Supp. 04-4). Amended by final rulemaking at 13 A.A.R. 550, effective April 7, 2007 (Supp. 07-1). Amended by final rulemaking at 14 A.A.R. 4658, effective January 31, 2009 (Supp. 08-4).)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.