RULE 004.00.20-082 - AR 825 Inmate Name Changes for Religious Purposes
RULE 004.00.20-082. AR 825 Inmate Name Changes for Religious Purposes
The authority of the Board of Correction to promulgate this administrative rule is vested in Act 50 of 1968, First Extraordinary Session, as amended; Act 52 of 1989, Regular Session.
To ensure a uniform method of record keeping that allows inmates to receive services and information under a new name when legally changed by the appropriate courts.
To all employees and inmates.
1. Records - any written account of events or facts on a particular subject collected and preserved.
2. Commitment Name - the name recorded by the sentencing jurisdiction as the subject's name and indicated on the Judgement and Commitment Order.
3. AKA - a person's name which has been legally changed by the appropriate courts for religious purposes after incarceration.
The Department of Correction shall allow persons who have legally changed their names for religious purposes to receive services and information by utilizing their AKA's.
Inmates must respond to his or her legally changed name or his or her commitment name if instructed to do so. Failure to comply may result in disciplinary action and/or the withdrawal of the "AKA" alternative upon approval of the appropriate assistant director.
The records of the Department of Correction and the clothing of inmates shall reflect both the commitment name and changed names of those inmates who have legally changed their names for religious purposes after incarceration.
The records and the inmate clothing shall be identified by using the "AKA" alternative. The changed name shall be added as an "AKA" following the commitment name in the prison records and on the inmate's clothing.
Upon an inmate legally changing his or her name, the warden/center supervisor shall be responsible for advising the appropriate supervisors.
1. In all records maintained, the commitment name will remain as the primary name.
2. The "AKA" shall be placed secondary on the appropriate documentation/records.
3. Records maintained by the department shall reflect the commitment name and "AKA" in conjunction with the inmate's ADC number.
When an approved "AKA" is being added to an inmate's clothing:
1. The surname of the commitment name shall appear first.
2. The last name within the new "AKA" shall be added below the commitment name.
Staff shall first use the legally changed name when addressing an inmate.
Board Approval Date:07/17/91
Effective Date: 07/18/91(Adopted by Arkansas Register Volume MMXXI Number 7, Effective 7/18/1991)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.