RULE 004.00.91-024 - Inmate Commissaries
RULE 004.00.91-024. Inmate Commissaries
103 Inmate Commissaries
The authority to promulgate this Administrative Regulation is vested in Act 50 of 1968, First Extraordinary Session, as amended.
To describe the fiscal operation of the inmate commissaries and to require pricing policies and procedures.
To the Board of Correction, wardens/center supervisors/ administrators, and all employees involved in the utilization and operation of inmate commissaries.
It shall be the policy of the Department of Correction to provide inmate commissary operations at units/centers.
A. Commissary - A store established within a unit/center where food and supplies are sold.
B. Inmate Welfare Fund - A self-supporting enterprise financed and operated through sales to inmates and employees; residual equity of the fund being used to provide benefits to inmates not ordinarily provided by tax revenues.
Each unit/center shall establish a commissary for inmate use.
1. Items sold in the inmates' commissaries must be indicated on the Standardized Commissary Items listing and be approved by the unit warden/center supervisor.
B. Fiscal Operations
1. Commissary pricing policies shall be established by the Board of Correction.
a. Upon approval, a copy of the appropriate administrative directive(s) shall be forwarded to each unit/center for posting.
2. The net profit from items sold in the inmate commissaries is to be placed in the Inmate Welfare Fund and expended for the benefit of the inmate population under guidelines-established by the Board of Correction.
3. No goods can be sold on credit or consignment.
4. A monthly inventory will be taken within guidelines of the Administrative Services Division.
Unit/Center commissaries are to be kept clean and orderly.
The unit warden/center supervisor of each unit/center shall publish procedures relative to commissary operations and privileges.
Board of Correction Approval Date: 12/4/91
Attorney General Review Date: 12/4/91
Date Filed Secy, of State: 12/5/91
Supersedes: AR 103
The following state regulations pages link to this page.