RULE 004.00.93-003 - Temporary Release/Meritorious Furloughs
RULE 004.00.93-003. Temporary Release/Meritorious Furloughs
812 Temporary Release/Meritorious Furloughs
The authority of the Board of Correction to promulgate this Administrative Regulation is vested in Act 50 of 1968, first extraordinary session.
To provide a mechanism for the temporary release of inmates which serves as an incentive program and assists in attaining a more normal and orderly transition from the Department of Correction into the community.
Board of Correction, Deputy/Assistant Directors, Wardens/Center Supervisors, all employees involved in the approval/processing of furloughs; and inmates.
A. Meritorious Furlough: The approved, temporary release of an inmate for a period not to exceed five calendar days.
B. Sponsor: Approved persons with whom the inmate resides while on meritorious furlough.
A sponsor shall be required to be already approved and listed on the inmate's visitation list at the time of furlough application.
It shall be the policy of the Department of Correction to grant meritorious furloughs pursuant to established requirements and conditions for approved inmates.
A meritorious furlough may be granted for exemplary conduct and outstanding service on the part of an inmate.
1. All inmates who are serving a life sentence or a sentence of a term of years and who have achieved Class I trusty status, A or B, and who have continuously maintained that status for not less than one year may be eligible for meritorious furloughs only if they meet all of the following requirements:
a. Have been an inmate in an institution of the Arkansas Department of Correction continuously for a total of not less than 12 months;
b. Have not been convicted of a major disciplinary violation for a period of not less than six months immediately prior to applying for such meritorious furlough;
c. Do not have any pending felony detainers;
d. The Sheriff and other appropriate law enforcement personnel of the county to which the inmate is furloughing approves;
e. An inmate serving a "life" sentence must have his or her application approved by the appropriate assistant director, submitted through the Director prior to approval by the Board of Correction.
2. An inmate who has been sentenced to Death, or serving a sentence of Life Without Parole will not be eligible for meritorious furloughs under any conditions or circumstances.
3. A review/approval mechanism for inmates applying for a meritorious furlough shall be governed by the appropriate Administrative Directive.
B. Rules of Meritorious Furlough
An inmate released temporarily on a meritorious furlough shall not:
1. Leave the State of Arkansas for any purpose or under any circumstances;
2. Leave the county to which he or she was furloughed except for travel to the county and return travel to the institution, without the written consent and approval of the warden/center supervisor or appropriate assistant director;
3. Possess or consume alcoholic beverages of any kind or drugs not specifically prescribed for him or her;
4. Visit any place of business where alcoholic beverages are the major items offered for sale;
5. Violate any laws of this State, the County or Municipality, or the United States;
6. Operate a motor vehicle of any kind.
Specific conditions for the inmate to abide by shall be listed in the appropriate Administrative Directive.
C. General .
Specific guidelines to include but not be limited to sponsorship, departure and arrival times, medical screening, and contacts shall be included in the appropriate Administrative Directive.
VII. A.C.A. REFERENCES:
Board of Correction Approval Date: 02/16/93
Attorney General Review Date: 02/16/93
Date Filed Secy of State: 02/17/93
The following state regulations pages link to this page.