RULE 004.00.94-030 - Reg. 223 - Annual Employee Awards - REPEAL
RULE 004.00.94-030. Reg. 223 - Annual Employee Awards - REPEAL
223 Annual Employee Awards
I. POLICY: It shall be the policy of the Department of Correction to provide an awards program whereby different categories/ranks of employees are recognized for meritorious service to the Department.
Each member of the Employee Awards Committee shall meet with his/her staff to determine that division's or unit's nominations. Nominations may or may not come from that particular division or unit. Nominations may include up to two nominations for each award.
The Employee Awards Committee may be made up of the following employees or as identified by the Director and they shall be responsible for polling the listed groups:
1. Director's Designee - Public Information and Legislative Liaison staff. Administrative Assistant to the Board and Director, Director's office staff. Internal Affairs and Hearing Officer staff, and EEO/Grievance Officer.
2. Deputy Director - Agriculture, Classification, Commodity Management, Communication, Extradition, Industry, Interstate Compact and OES Coordinator staffs.
3. Assistant Director of Administrative Services - Accounting, Budget, Information Systems, Central Services, Personnel, Purchasing and Training staffs.
4. Assistant Director of Field Services - Parole and Centers staff.
5. Assistant Director of Institutions - As defined by the Director.
6. Assistant Director of Treatment Programs - Staff of Chaplaincy Services, Education, Medical Services, Mental Health and Volunteer Services.
7. Administrator of Construction and Maintenance - Staffs of Construction and Maintenance.
8. Benton Unit Warden - All staff members.
9. Cummins Unit Warden - All staff members.
10. Diagnostic Unit Warden - All staff members.
11. Maximum Security Unit Warden - All staff members.
12. Tucker Unit Warden - All staff members.
13. Varner Unit Warden - All staff members.
14. Women's Unit Warden - All staff members.
15. Wrightsville Unit Warden - All staff members.
New units will be added to the Employee Award Committee as the new units open and become operational.
The Employee Awards Committee meeting will be called at the discretion of the Director, at least two weeks after the call for the meeting. The nominations will be made known to other members during the meeting. Employees of the Department's School District may be considered for awards.
The names of the nominees will be displayed visibly in category. After all nominations are made, the respective staff members will be responsible to state justifications for his/her nominations. After discussions of individuals nominated by category, the committee will then vote by secret ballot, each committee member will have one vote per category.
If a nominee receives a simple majority of the votes, he/she will be the recipient of the award. If no one nominee receives a simple majority then the top three nominations will be in a run-off, with the person receiving the simple majority vote winning. Nominees receiving tie votes among the top three will be placed in the run-off. If no simple majority is reached during the first run-off then the top two (and ties) will be in a run-off with the person receiving the most votes being declared as the recipient of the award.
As the Director states the votes from the secret ballot, the votes will be placed by the nominee's name.
Past recipients will not be eligible for another award except for the Citation of Excellence Award.
The awards will be as follows:
A. Employee of the Year
This award will be given for meritorious service. It is for those employees who do not have primary security duties and who are not supervisors.
B. Correctional Officer of the Year
This award is to be given for outstanding service. Any employee who is either a CO I or CO II and primarily perform security duties is eligible to receive this award.
C. Correctional Supervisor of the Year
This award is to be given for outstanding service. Any employee who is the rank of sergeant and above through major is eligible to receive this award.
D. Supervisor of the Year
This award is given to a supervisor who has shown exemplary or meritorious service. A supervisor is defined as an employee who supervises one or more freeworld employees and who has line responsibilities. Security personnel above the rank of major can receive this award.
E. Director's Outstanding Service Award
This award is to be given to an employee for commendable or exceptional service. Any employee, other than the Director of the Department of Correction, is eligible to receive the award. The Director may select a person from the committee's nominations or may choose any other employee within the Department of Correction.
F. Citation of Excellence Award
This award is to be given by the Director and the Board to an employee for service above and beyond the call of duty or for an employee who lost his/her life in the line of duty. This is to be an optional award and may or may not be given out each year. This award may be given to a past recipient of any other award.
G. Board of Correction Service Award
This award is to be given to an employee for exceptional or meritorious service. The Director will forward nominations from the Employee Awards Committee to the Board. The Board may select from the nominations or choose any other eligible employee within the Department for the award.
Board of Correction Approval Date: 3/30/90
Attorney General Review Date: 3/30/90
Date Filed Secy, of State: 4/2/90
Supersedes: AR 223
The following state regulations pages link to this page.