RULE 088.00.19-005 - Rule 16- Cash and Savings Help (CASH) Program
RULE 088.00.19-005. Rule 16- Cash and Savings Help (CASH) Program
I. Purpose and Scope
A. The purpose of this Rule is to allow members an opportunity to receive a one-time lump sum cash payment in exchange for terminating their membership in ATRS. The benefit offering under this Rule shall be known as the "CASH Program". The one time lump sum cash payment shall be known as "CASH Program payment". The tender of the CASH Program payment by ATRS extinguishes any service credit or future retirement benefit from ATRS to the member that would have been based upon the member's service, and for all purposes "buys out" the membership, the retirement benefit rights, and all future rights in the system of the member.
B. The opportunity for a CASH Program payment is available only under this Rule and only for a specific and temporary period of time to a specific category of members. The CASH Program payment is calculated under a formula that is unique to that category of members and is applicable for the offering period exclusively.
C. ATRS is under no obligation to extend the offer or to make a future, similar offer. Terms, rules and rights for any CASH Program under a specific offering period do not apply to a subsequent CASH Program offering.
D. This CASH Program is only applicable to ATRS members for their ATRS service. Reciprocal service shall not be eligible for the CASH Program.
E. The ATRS Board may target a CASH Program offering to a certain category of members within ATRS.
F. A CASH Program payment may be made to a member by a check mailed to the member's address. A CASH Program payment may also be directly rolled over into a qualifying retirement plan under § 24-7-719, at the direction of the member. ATRS shall only roll over the CASH Program payment into one qualifying plan.
G. CASH Offering Period
1. The Board shall set the dates for any offering period. To qualify for the CASH Program payment in a specific offering period, the member shall deliver the CASH Program Election Form to ATRS before the end of the offering period.
2. A CASH Program Election Form that is postmarked after the offering period deadline is invalid. If sent by facsimile, the date stamp shall be before the offering period deadline. If sent as an attachment to an email, the email shall be sent before the offering period deadline.
3. The Board may re-offer a previously expired buyout plan or may extend the duration of a current offering through a resolution adopted by the Board at a meeting of the Board.
H. While ATRS may make reasonable efforts to contact members eligible for the CASH Program, ATRS is under no duty to contact members, to verify the accuracy of the addresses, or to confirm receipt of the offer by the member, to confirm receipt of the election form by members, or to confirm receipt by ATRS of the CASH Program Election Form from members.
II. CASH Program Election Form
A. To participate in the CASH Program, a member shall submit a CASH Program Election Form to ATRS during the offering period. The CASH Program Election Form shall be completed in its entirety by the member in order to be accepted as a valid CASH Program Election Form.
B. The CASH Program Election Form shall include the following:
1. A statement, signed by the member, that the member understands the purpose and scope of the CASH Program, and once ATRS tenders payment of CASH Program payment, the CASH Program Election Form may not be withdrawn.
2. A member who participates in the CASH Program plan shall receive a one-time lump sum payment from ATRS that cancels the member's interest in any retirement benefit and all future rights in ATRS effective upon tender of payment by ATRS.
3. The signature of the member; and
4. The date signed.
C. The CASH Program Election Form shall be made available to members using standard ATRS procedures.
D. ATRS is not required to accept any CASH Program Election Form that is not received during the offering period in the manner prescribed in this Rule.
E. ATRS is not responsible for the member's receipt of a CASH Program Election Form, regardless of the manner in which it is requested.
F. The member is exclusively responsible for obtaining and submitting the CASH Program Election Form as required under this Rule.
G. ATRS shall determine if the member is qualified to receive a CASH Program payment. Only qualifying members may receive the CASH Program payment and any erroneous delivery of a CASH Program Election Form by ATRS to a member does not establish a right to payment.
III. CASH Program Offering
The applicable members, offering period, and CASH Program formula for a particular CASH Program offering will be established and approved by the Board through a properly adopted resolution.(Adopted by Arkansas Register Volume XLIII Number 2, Effective 8/9/2019)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.