RULE 132.00.13-001 - Certification of Canines and Canine Certifying Officials
RULE 132.00.13-001. Certification of Canines and Canine Certifying Officials
1028. CERTIFICATION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT CANINES
(1) A canine used as a law enforcement tool in the State of Arkansas must be certified by a Law Enforcement Certifying Official in accordance with Canine Certification Requirements approved by CLEST.
(2) All Law Enforcement Canines shall meet or exceed the minimum standards approved by CLEST.
(3) Law Enforcement Canine Certifications shall expire one (1) year after the date of issue.
(4) Law Enforcement Canines that are used for the sole purpose of tracking shall not be required to obtain CLEST certification.
(5) All Law Enforcement Canines currently active in Arkansas shall be certified within eighteen (18) months of the effective date of this regulation.
(6) A Certified Law Enforcement Canine must be recertified each year and each time it is assigned to a new Law Enforcement Officer.
1029. DECERTIFICATION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT CANINES
(1) Law Enforcement Canine Certificates issued by the Commission remain the property of CLEST and the Commission shall have the power to revoke or recall any certificate for the following reasons:
(a) The Law Enforcement Canine is found to be a danger to the public.
(b) The Law Enforcement Canine is no longer in use by a Law Enforcement Agency.
(2) The Law Enforcement Agency utilizing the Law Enforcement Canine shall have the right to a hearing before the Commission prior to a final decision to decertify a Law Enforcement Canine.
1030. CERTIFICATION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT CANINE CERTIFYING OFFICIAL
(1) In order to certify Law Enforcement Canines in the State of Arkansas, a person must be certified by CLEST as a Law Enforcement Canine Certifying Official.
(2) A person may be certified as a Dual Purpose Certifying Official or a Single Purpose Certifying Official.
(a) A Dual Purpose Certification will be issued to a person who is trained to certify Law Enforcement Canines in narcotics/explosives and patrol work.
(b) A Single Purpose Certification will be issued to a person who is trained to certify Law Enforcement Canines in narcotics/explosives work only.
(c) A Dual Purpose Certifying Official may certify a Single Purpose Canine, but a Single Purpose Certifying Official may not certify a Dual Purpose Canine.
(3) A person desiring to become a Law Enforcement Canine Certifying Official must submit an application to the Commission.
(4) An applicant for Law Enforcement Canine Certifying Official Certification must be a Certified Law Enforcement or Corrections Officer in the State of Arkansas.
(5) Applicants who are certified as Law Enforcement or Corrections Officers must have completed a CLEST approved Instructor Development Course.
(6) Applicants must have five (5) years of experience as a Dual or Single Purpose Canine Officer to qualify as a Certifying Official in that respective field.
(7) All applicants for Law Enforcement Canine Certifying Official Certification must pass a written examination approved and administered by CLEST.
(8) All Applicants must conduct the certification process for each Law Enforcement Canine in accordance Arkansas Certifications Requirements approved by CLEST.
1031. DECERTIFICATION OF LAW ENFORCEMENT CANINE CERTIFYING OFFICIALS
Decertification of Law Enforcement Canine Certifying Officials will be handled in accordance with rules set forth in Regulation 1010 regarding decertification of Law Enforcement Officers.(12/16/2013)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.