When, in the opinion of the District Maintenance Manager, the pavement of a State highway may be obstructed by the permit applicant's proposed operations to such extent as to unduly restrict public usage or make hazardous its use and a parallel town road bypass is available, the following procedures shall apply:
(1) The permit applicant shall secure written permission from the town to establish a temporary detour via town roads. Any commitment made to the town and all expenses incurred by the permittee as a result of the establishment, use and restoration of said detour shall be the entire responsibility of the permittee.
(2) The permittee shall notify the State and local police and local fire department of the layout and expected time of use of the detour.
(3) Upon receipt of a written statement from the town that it has authorized a permittee to establish a detour, the permittee, at his own expense, shall supply and maintain such signs and other traffic controls as may be required on the detour.
(4) Unless the District Maintenance Manager grants special permission to the contrary, the permittee shall close all excavations in the State highway right of way by the end of the work day and the right of way shall not be obstructed or restricted from sunset to sunrise. If special permission is granted by the District Maintenance Manager to allow an excavation to remain open overnight, the special precautions described under "SAFETY TO TRAFFIC" shall be rigidly enforced. Safety regulations apply to pedestrians as well as vehicle operators.
(5) Preliminary to the detouring of State highway traffic to the local road bypass, an inspection shall be made by representatives of the State, town and permittee to determine the adequacy of the signs and the structural condition of the town roads concerned. A second inspection shall be made by the same persons when the detour is terminated so that there will be agreement as to the extent of repairs to be made by the permittee to restore the conditions equal to those existing prior to the establishment of the detour.
(6) Before the permittee shall be released from his/her obligations under the terms of his/her permit he/she must present to the District Maintenance Manager a statement, in writing, from the town or municipal government indicating that he/she has fulfilled the conditions stipulated by the local government when he/she was granted authority to establish the town road detour.