The following definitions apply to Section 8-346-1 through Section 8-346-12 of the regulations of Connecticut State Agencies:
(a) "Adjusted Gross Income" means the gross income less allowable deductions.
(b) "Adjusted Monthly Income" means the adjusted gross income divided by twelve.
(c) "Commissioner" means the Commissioner of the Department of Housing.
(d) "Contract Rent" means all periodic payments made to the developer/owner or his designated representative under the rental agreement including the portion of rent payable by the family.
(e) "Department" means the Connecticut Department of Housing.
(f) "Dependent" means a member of the family who does not derive more than half of his or her total support for the calendar year from sources other than the family.
(1) a nonprofit corporation incorporated pursuant to Chapter 600 of the General Statutes, having as one of its purposes the construction, rehabilitation, ownership or operation of housing, and having articles of incorporation approved by the Commissioner;
(2) any business corporation incorporated pursuant to Chapter 599 of the General Statutes, having as one of its purposes the construction, rehabilitation, ownership or operation of housing, and having articles of incorporation approved by the Commissioner;
(3) any partnership, limited partnership, joint venture, sole proprietorship, trust or association having as one of its purposes the construction, rehabilitation, ownership or operation of housing, and having basic documents of organization approved by the Commissioner; or
(4) a family or persons approved by the Commissioner as qualified to own, construct, rehabilitate, manage and maintain housing under a mortgage loan made or insured by the Connecticut Housing Finance Authority under the provisions of Chapter 134.
(h) "Low Income Family" means a family whose income does not exceed 60% of the area median family income adjusted for family size as determined by the Commissioner.
(i) "Family" means a household consisting of one or more persons.
(j) "Family Contribution" means the amount payable by the family toward the cost of the contract rent.
(k) "Gross Income" means the aggregate annual income of all family members from all sources before any deductions.
(l) "Maximum Allowable Rent" means the periodic amount which would be required to be paid by a family in a particular municipality for rent and utilities (except telephone), ranges, refrigerators and all maintenance, management and other services as determined by the Commissioner in order to obtain privately owned existing, decent, safe and sanitary rental housing.
(m) "Newly Created" means the new construction or substantial rehabilitation of a building or structure which has not previously been used for residential purposes.
"Owner" means any person who holds any of the following interests in real property for this project:
(1) Fee simple title, a life estate, a 99-year lease, or a lease, including options for extension, with at least 10 years to run from the date of the contract with the state; or
(2) An interest in a cooperative housing unit;
(3) A contract to purchase any of the interests or estates described in paragraphs (1) or (2) of this section.
(o) "Rental Assistance for New Units Development" or "Development" means any work or undertaking to provide new, decent, safe and sanitary rental housing units.
(p) "Rental Agreement" means all agreements, written or oral and valid rules and regulations adopted under Section 47a-9 of the General Statutes, embodying the terms and conditions concerning the use and occupancy of a dwelling unit and premises.
(q) "Rental Assistance" means the amount payable by the state toward the cost of the contract rent.
(r) "Rental Assistance Contract" means a written agreement which contains the terms and conditions under which the developer or owner will rent the eligible housing unit to a low income family, and the amount of rental assistance to be provided by the state.
(s) "Utility Allowance" means the average monthly allowance as determined by the Commissioner for a family for heat and other utilities, excluding telephone, which is not supplied or paid for by the developer or owner of the dwelling unit rented by the family.