§11-39-4 - General requirements.
§11-39-4 General requirements.
he provisions of these rules apply when a comfort air conditioning system or a ventilating system is to be installed in buildings used or to be used as public buildings.
(1) New buildings. These rules apply to all new buildings. New buildings mean buildings, additions thereto and alterations thereof, for which plans have not been approved by the department previously or construction was not in progress prior to the effective date of these rules.
(2) Existing buildings. These rules apply to all alterations or improvements to existing buildings, including the replacement of any major apparatus or device related to air conditioning or ventilating systems. Existing buildings mean buildings, additions thereto and alterations thereof, structurally completed or for which plans have been approved by the department and construction is in progress prior to the effective date of these rules.
(3) Change in use. These rules apply to every building, or portion of a building, devoted to new use for which the requirements under these rules are more stringent than the requirements covering the previous use.
(4) Design and preparation of plans. All plans and data on air conditioning and ventilating systems shall be prepared by or under the direct supervision of a "designer." All air conditioning installations shall be designed and installed to provide proper comfort as defined in ASHRAE Standard 55, unless constrained by laws of the United States of America or the State of Hawaii for reasons of conservation of energy.
(5) Refrigeration system. The entire installation of refrigeration in connection with air conditioning shall be in accordance with good engineering practice and the provisions of ANSI/ASHRAE 15.
(6) User's responsibility. All users shall maintain air conditioning and ventilating systems in good working order and shall
operate them so as to provide acceptable atmospheric conditions in the enclosure during all periods of occupancy. (7) Provisions for cleanliness. All parts of installations and equipment which house or handle air used for ventilating purposes shall be designed so as to facilitate sanitary maintenance thereof.
[Eff. January 31 , 1983 ] (Auth: HRS §§321-9, 321-11) (Imp: HRS §§321-1, 321-11)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.