§11-501-11 - Standard for waste disposal for asbestos mills.
§11-501-11 Standard for waste disposal for asbestos mills.
(a) Deposit all asbestos-containing material at a waste disposal site operated in accordance with the provisions of section 11-501-16.
(b) Discharge no visible emissions to the outside air from the transfer of control device asbestos waste to the tailings conveyor and use the methods specified by section 11-501-14 to clean emissions containing particulate asbestos material before they escape to, or are vented to, the outside air. Dispose of the asbestos waste from control devices in accordance with section 11-501-12 or subsection (c).
(c) Discharge no visible emissions to the outside air during the collection, processing, packaging, or on-site transportation of any asbestos-containing waste material and use one of the methods specified by paragraphs (1) or (2) as follows:
(A) Discharge no visible emissions to the
outside air from the wetting operation and use the methods specified by section 11-501-14 to clean emissions containing particulate asbestos material before they escape to, or are vented to, the outside air; and (B) Wetting may be suspended when the ambient temperature at the waste disposal site is less than -9.5°C (15°F), as determined by an appropriate measurement method with an accuracy of ±1°C (+2°F). During periods when wetting operations are suspended, the temperature must be recorded at least at hourly intervals, and records must be retained for at least two years in a form suitable for inspection; or
(2) Use an alternate emissions control and waste treatment method that has received prior written approval by the director. To obtain approval for an alternative method, a written application must be submitted to
the director demonstrating that the following criteria are met:
(A) The alternative method will control asbestos emissions equivalent to currently required methods;
(B) The suitability of the alternative method for the intended application;
(C) The alternative method will not violate other regulations; and
(D) The alternative method will not result in increased water pollution, land pollution, or occupational hazards.
(d) When the waste is transported by vehicle to a disposal site:
(1) Mark vehicles used to transport asbestos-containing waste material during the loading and unloading of the waste so that the signs are visible, in accordance with section 11-501-7(c)(5)(c)(i), (ii), and (iii); and
(2) For off-site disposal, provide a copy of the waste shipment record, described in subsection (e)(1), to the disposal site owner or operator at the same time as the asbestos-containing waste material is delivered to the disposal site.
(e) For all asbestos-containing waste material transported off the facility site:
(1) Maintain asbestos waste shipment records, using a form similar to that shown in Figure 4, entitled "Waste Shipment Record", dated June 1, 1998, located at the end of this chapter, and include the following information:
(A) The name, address, and telephone number of the waste generator; and
(B) The name and address of local, state, or EPA regional agencies responsible for administering the asbestos NESHAP program;
(C) The quantity of the asbestos-containing waste material in cubic meters (or cubic yards);
(D) The name and telephone number of the disposal site operator;
(E) The name and physical site location of the disposal site;
(F) The date transported;
(G) The name, address, and telephone number of the transporter(s); and
(H) A certification that the contents of this consignment are fully and accurately described by proper shipping name and are classified, packed, marked and labeled, and are in all respects in proper condition for transport by highway according to the applicable international and government regulations;
(2) For waste shipments where a copy of the waste shipment record, signed by the owner or operator of the designated disposal site, is not received by the waste generator within thirty-five days of the date the waste was accepted by the initial transporter, contact the transporter, or the owner or operator of the designated disposal site, or both, to determine the status of the waste shipment;
(3) Report in writing to the local, state, or EPA regional agency responsible for administering the asbestos NESHAP program for the waste generator if a copy of the waste shipment record, signed by the owner or operator of the designated waste disposal site, is not received within forty-five days of the date the waste was accepted by the initial transporter. Include in the report the following information:
(A) A copy of the waste shipment record for which a confirmation of delivery was not received; and
(B) A cover letter signed by the waste generator explaining the efforts taken to locate the asbestos waste shipment and the results of those efforts; and
(4) Retain a copy of all waste shipment
records, including a copy of the waste shipment record signed by the owner or operator of the designated waste disposal site, for at least two years,
(f) Furnish upon request, and make available for inspection by the director, all records required under this section.
[Eff ] (Auth: HRS § 342P-41) (Imp: 40 CFR Part 61.149)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.