§16-185-114 - Conduct of insurer in connection with the preparation of required reports and documents.
§16-185-114 Conduct of insurer in connection with the preparation of required reports and documents. (a) No director or officer of an insurer shall, directly or indirectly:
(1) Make or cause to be made a materially false or misleading statement to an accountant in connection with any audit, review, or communication required under this chapter; or
(2) Omit to state, or cause another person to omit to state, any material fact necessary, in light of the circumstances under which the statements were made, so as to mislead an accountant in connection with any audit, review, or communication required under this chapter.
(b) No officer or director of an insurer, or any other person acting under the direction thereof, shall directly or indirectly take any action to coerce, manipulate, mislead, or fraudulently influence any accountant engaged in the performance of an audit pursuant to this chapter if that person knew or should have known that the action, if successful, could result in rendering the insurer's financial statements materially misleading.
(c) For purposes of subsection (b), actions that, "if successful, could result in rendering the insurer's financial statements materially misleading" include, but are not limited to, actions taken at any time with respect to the professional engagement period to coerce, manipulate, mislead, or fraudulently influence an accountant:
(1) To issue or reissue a report on an insurer's financial statements that is not warranted in the circumstances due to material violations of statutory accounting principles prescribed by the commissioner, generally accepted auditing standards, or other professional or regulatory standards;
(2) Not to perform audit, review, or other procedures required by generally accepted auditing standards or other professional standards;
(3) Not to withdraw an issued report; or
(4) Not to communicate matters to an insurer's audit committee.
[Eff 2/04/10; comp 12/30/19] (Auth: HRS §431:2-201) (Imp: HRS §§431:2-201, 431:3-302.5)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.