Sec. 19-104-8 - Processing applications.
Sec. 19-104-8 Processing applications.
(a) Each application received shall be processed as promptly as possible. Except as noted in section 19-104-7, applications will generally be reviewed and processed within two days, exclusive of Saturdays, Sundays and holidays.
(b) In reviewing and processing the application, the district engineer shall consider such factors as:
(1) Details of the point of origin and destination;
(2) The overall dimensions of the object to be moved; _
(3) The practicability of reducing the overall dimensions by cutting or partially dismantling the object and moving it in sections;
(4) The gross weight of the vehicle and load, axle and wheel loadings and their distribution;
(5) The practicability of reducing the gross weight and axle and wheel loadings;
(6) The capacity of bridge structures over which the move is to be made to support the vehicle or load;
(7) The proposed method of moving, the type and condition of the equipment, the practicability of the move in the manner proposed, alternate methods of moving and other related items;
(8) The clearances, both vertical and horizontal and turning paths?
(9) The effect of the move on the flow of traffic using that portion of the route over which the movement will take place;
(10) The possibility of any construction operation being underway at the time of the proposed movement which may interfere with the move and the normal flow of traffic;
(11) The possibility of using lesser traveled roads other than state highways; and
(12) The requirements and guidelines set forth in this chapter.
(c) The design branch and the materials testing and research branch, highways division, shall assist the district engineers, when requested, in analyzing the probable stresses in pavement and structural members.
(d) All cases requiring shoring, bracing, cribbing or other means of reinforcing a bridge structure shall be referred to the design branch for analysis. When determined to be necessary by the design branch, the applicant shall prepare and submit plans for the protection and strengthening of bridge structures. The applicant shall erect temporary supports deemed necessary and remove such supports as required by the department.
(e) Each request for movement of an oversize or overweight vehicle or load on freeways shall be reviewed on an individual basis and such request shall be referred to division with the district's comments and recommendation.
(f) Whenever there are restrictions on the issuance of permits, the district engineer shall fully inform the applicant about the restrictions.
[Eff MAY 30 1981 (Auth: HRS Sec. 291-36) (Imp: HRS Sec. 291-36)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.