§8-60-1 - Purposes and scope.
(1) To ensure that all students with disabilities have available to them a free appropriate public education that emphasizes special education and related services designed to meet their unique needs and prepare them for further education, employment, and independent living;
(2) To ensure that the rights of students with disabilities and their parents are protected;
(3) To assist public schools in the provision of the education of all students with disabilities;
(4) To assess and ensure the effectiveness of efforts to educate students with disabilities;
(5) To strengthen the role of parents;
(6) To encourage whole-school approaches and pre-referral intervention to reduce the need to label students as disabled in order to address their learning needs;
(7) To encourage high expectations for students with a disability and to improve and increase educational achievement; and
(8) To encourage all students with a disability to develop skills needed to lead a self- determined life.
(b) This chapter shall be construed as supplemental to, and in the context of, the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act (20 U.S.C. section 1400 et seq.; 34 C.F.R. sections 300.1 et seq.) and other federal laws and regulations relating to the provision of a free appropriate public education to a student with a disability.
[Eff 11/23/09] (Auth: 20 U.S.C. 1412; HRS §302A-1112) Imp: HRS §§302A-1112, 302A-436; 34 C.F.R. §300.2)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.