Idaho Admin. Code r. - HOUND HUNTER PERMIT

Current through August 30, 2021

01. Hound Hunter Permits. (7-1-21)T
a. The following persons must have a valid hunting license and Hound Hunter Permit in possession when any dog is being used to hunt, including training or pursuit only, black bear, mountain lion, bobcat, and fox: (7-1-21)T
i. Anyone who owns the dog. (7-1-21)T
ii. Anyone having control of the dog if owned by another person. (7-1-21)T
b. A permit is not transferable EXCEPT, a licensed outfitter may convey the authority of his Hound Hunter Permit to a nonresident licensed guide operating for him, provided the nonresident guide has a copy of the outfitter's Hound Hunter Permit in possession. (7-1-21)T
c. A permit is valid from January 1 through December 31 of each year. (7-1-21)T
02. Exceptions. A person owning or using a dog only for blood trailing does not need a hound hunter permit. An unarmed observer does not need a hunting license or hound hunter permit. (7-1-21)T
03. Limit on Hound Hunter Permits for Nonresidents. No more than seventy (70) nonresident hound hunter permits will be issued to nonresident hunters. Sales of nonresident Hound Hunter Permits to the following persons are exempt from this limit: (7-1-21)T
a. A nonresident licensed outfitter or guide, provided the permit is not used for personal hunting. (7-1-21)T
b. An unqualified Idaho resident. (7-1-21)T
c. Persons who hound hunt solely in the Middle Fork Zone (Units 20A, 26, and 27). (7-1-21)T
d. Persons who hound hunt solely in the Lolo Zone (Units 10 and 12). (7-1-21)T
e. Persons who hound hunt solely within the Selway Zone (Units 16A, 17, 19, and 20), for which no more than forty (40) nonresident permits will be issued for Units 16A, 19, 20, and all of Unit 17, excluding Hunt Area 17-1, for which no more than six (6) nonresident permits will be issued. Hunt Area 17-1 is that portion of Unit 17 south of the following boundary: Beginning at the junction of the Unit 17 boundary and Forest Service Trail 24, then west along Forest Service Trail 24 to the Selway River, then north along the Selway River to Forest Service Trail 40, then southwest along Forest Service Trail 40 to Forest Service Trail 3, then along Forest Service Trail 3 to the Unit 17 boundary. (7-1-21)T
04. Nonresident Applications. (7-1-21)T
a. To be eligible for a controlled draw for limited nonresident permits, a nonresident must submit a legible, complete application for a hound hunter permit on the form prescribed by the Department such that it is received at the Department's main office by no later than December 1 of the year preceding the year in which the permit is to be valid. (7-1-21)T
b. No person may submit more than one (1) application for a Hound Hunter Permit. (7-1-21)T
c. Two nonresidents may apply for two (2) permits on the same application form. (7-1-21)T
d. If nonresident tags are available after the application period, they will be available for purchase at any Department office on a first-come, first-served basis on or after December 10. (7-1-21)T


Idaho Admin. Code r.

The following state regulations pages link to this page.

State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.