Sec. 1100.20 - Person with Disabilities Parking Decals or Devices
§ 1100.20. Person with Disabilities Parking Decals or Devices
a) The decals or devices issued by State and local authorities according to the provisions of IVC Section 11-1301.2 shall be the following size, color, design, duration and placement.
1) Size - 3" x 91/2".
2) Color - Permanent, metered-exempt, and temporary decals or devices shall be of differing distinctive and contrasting colors.
3) Design, Placement, Manufacturing - The decal or device shall contain the international symbol of access, the registration number, the expiration date, and the name of the issuing agent. Decals shall be placed on the rearview mirror of the vehicle while the vehicle is parked in the person with disabilities parking space or metered space, and shall be removed while the vehicle is in motion. If the person is incapable of putting the decal or device on the rearview mirror because of his/her physical disability, the decal or device may be placed on the dashboard of the car in clear view.
4) Duration of the Temporary Decal or Device - Secretary Issue: Temporary decals or devices provided by the Secretary shall be issued to individuals whose disability is temporary in nature. The temporary decal or device shall be issued for the time specified by the physician certification, but shall not exceed six months. Recertification of disability is required upon application for renewal.
5) Duration of Temporary Decal or Device - Unit of Local Government Issue: Temporary decals or devices provided by units of local government shall be issued to individuals whose disability is temporary in nature. The temporary decal or device shall be issued for the time specified by the physician certification, but shall not exceed 90 days. Recertification of disability is required upon application for renewal.
6) Duration of Permanent Decal: The permanent decals or devices shall expire every four years. A physician's certification of the permanent disability is required for renewal of permanent decals or devices.
b) The vehicle in which the disabled parking decal or device is displayed need not bear Illinois registration plates. However, the vehicle's registration plates must be valid and issued in accordance with the individual's ruling state/jurisdiction.
c) A vehicle displaying disabled plates issued under IVC Section 3-609(a) or 3-616 that has also been issued a metered-exempt parking decal or device must display the metered-exempt parking decal or device while parked at a meter to avoid paying the meter.(
Amended at 37 Ill. Reg. 19866, effective November 27, 2013)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.