RULE 191-15.62 - Applicability and scope
RULE 191-15.62. Applicability and scope
These rules apply to all annuities not exempted under this rule 191-1562. (507B) for which applications are taken on or after January 1, 2013, except that rule 191-1566. (507B) applies to all annuities not exempted under this rule 191-1562. (507B) which are in effect or for which applications are taken on or after January 1, 2013, and except that rule 191-1567. (507B) applies to all annuity contracts not exempted imder this rule 191-1562. (507B) which are in effect on or after January 1, 2013. These rules apply to all group and individual annuity contracts and certificates except:
(1) Immediate and deferred annuities that contain no nonguaranteed elements;
(2) Annuities used to fund:
a. An employee pension plan which is covered by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA);
b. A plan described by Section 401(a), 401(k) or 403(b) of the Internal Revenue Code, where the plan, for purposes of ERISA, is established or maintained by an employer;
c. A governmental or church plan defined in Section 414 of the Internal Revenue Code or a deferred compensation plan of a state or local government or a tax exempt organization imder Section 457 of the Internal Revenue Code; or
d. A nonqualified deferred compensation arrangement established or maintained by an employer or plan sponsor
Notwithstanding this subrule 15.62(2), these rules shall apply to annuities used to fund a plan or arrangement that is funded solely by contributions an employee elects to make whether on a pretax or after-tax basis, and where the insurance company has been notified that plan participants may choose from among two or more fixed annuity providers and there is a direct solicitation of an individual employee by a producer for the purchase of an annuity contract. As used in this subrule, direct solicitation shall not include any meeting held by a producer solely for the purpose of educating or enrolling employees in the plan or arrangement;
(3) Structured settlement annuities;
(4) Charitable gift annuities as defined in Iowa Code chapter 508F;
(5) Nonregistered variable annuities issued exclusively to an accredited investor or qualified purchaser as those terms are defined by the Securities Act of 1933 (15 U.S.C. Section 77a et seq.), the Investment Company Act of 1940 (15 U.S.C. Section 80a-1 et seq.), or the regulations promulgated under either of those acts, and offered for sale and sold in a transaction that is exempt from registration under the Securities Act of 1933 (15 U.S.C. Section 77a et seq.); and
(6) Transactions involving variable annuities and other registered products in compliance with Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) rules and Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) rules relating to disclosures and illustrations, provided that compliance with rule 191-1564. (507B) shall be required after January 1, 2015, unless, or until such time as, the SEC has adopted a summary prospectus rule or FINRA has approved for use a simplified disclosure form applicable to variable annuities or other registered products.
a. Notwithstanding this subrule 15.62(6), the delivery of the Buyer's Guide is required in sales of variable annuities and, when appropriate, in sales of other registered products.
b. Nothing in this subrule 15.62(6) shall limit the commissioner's ability to enforce the provisions of these rules or to require additional disclosure.(ARC 0035C, lAB 3/7/12, effective 4/11/12)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.