RULE 281-120.704 - Enforcement
RULE 281-120.704. Enforcement
(1) Needs assistance. If the department determines, for two consecutive years, that an EIS provider needs assistance under paragraph 120.703(2)"b " in implementing the requirements of Part C of the Act, the department shall take one or more of the following actions:
a. Advise the EIS provider of available sources of technical assistance that may help the EIS provider address the areas in which the provider needs assistance, which may include assistance from the Office of Special Education Programs, other offices of the U.S. Department of Education, other federal agencies, technical assistance providers approved by the Secretary or the department, and other federally funded nonprofit agencies, and requires the EIS provider to work with appropriate entities. This technical assistance may include:
(1) The provision of advice by experts to address the areas in which the EIS provider needs assistance, including explicit plans for addressing the areas of concern within a specified period of time;
(2) Assistance in identifying and implementing professional development, early intervention service provision strategies, and methods of early intervention service provision that are based on scientifically based research;
(3) Designating and using administrators, service coordinators, service providers, and other personnel from the EIS program to provide advice, technical assistance, and support; and
(4) Devising additional approaches to providing technical assistance, such as collaborating with institutions of higher education, educational service agencies, national centers of technical assistance supported under Part D of the Act, and private providers of scientifically based technical assistance.
b. Identify the EIS provider as a high-risk grantee and impose special conditions on the provider's grant under this chapter.
(2) Needs intervention. If the department determines, for three or more consecutive years, that an EIS provider needs intervention under paragraph 120.703(2)"c" in implementing the requirements of Part C of the Act, the following apply:
a. The department may take any of the actions described in subrule 120.704(1).
b. The department shall take one or both of the following actions:
(1) Require the EIS provider to prepare a corrective action plan or improvement plan if the department determines that the EIS provider should be able to correct the problem within one year.
(2) Withhold, in whole or in part, any further payments to the EIS provider under Part C of the Act.
(3) Needs substantial intervention. Notwithstanding subrules 120.704(1) and 120.704(2), at any time that the department determines that an EIS provider needs substantial intervention in implementing the requirements of Part C of the Act or that there is a substantial failure to comply with any requirement under Part C of the Act by an EIS program, the department shall withhold, in whole or in part, any further payments to the EIS provider under Part C of the Act. In addition, the department may refer the matter to appropriate authorities, which include but are not limited to the Iowa department of justice or the auditor of state.
(4) Rule of construction. The listing of specific enforcement mechanisms in this rule shall not be construed to limit the enforcement mechanisms at the department's disposal in its enforcement of this rule or any other rule in this chapter.(ARC 0100C, IAB 4/18/12, effective 5/23/12)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.