Kan. Admin. Regs. § 115-8-13 - Motorized vehicles and aircraft; authorized operation
Current through Register Vol. 40, No. 39, September 30, 2021
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
115-8-13. Motorized vehicles and aircraft; authorized operation. (a) Motorized vehicles shall be operated only on department roads and parking areas, except as otherwise established by this regulation or posted notice or as approved by the secretary.
(b) Motorized vehicles shall be operated at speeds not in excess of 25 miles per hour or as otherwise established by posted notice.
(c) Motorized vehicles shall be operated in accordance with load limits as established by posted notice for roads or bridges.
(d) Motorized aircraft landings and takeoffs shall be allowed in designated areas only or as authorized by the secretary.
(e) Except as otherwise specified in K.A.R. 115-8-1, posted notice, or this regulation, motorized electric or gasoline-powered two-wheeled vehicles, all-terrain vehicles, work-site utility vehicles, golf carts, and snowmobiles may be operated on ice-covered department waters only for the purpose of ice fishing from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset. These vehicles shall enter onto the ice only from boat ramps and points of entry as established by posted notice.
(f) (1) Except as provided in this regulation, each motorized vehicle that meets either of the following conditions shall be prohibited from being operated on all department lands and roads:
(A) Is not registered with one of the following:
(i) The director of vehicles pursuant to K.S.A. 8-127 and amendments thereto; or
(ii) the corresponding authority in another state or country; or
(B) is unlawful to be operated on any interstate highway, federal highway, or state highway pursuant to K.S.A. 8-15,100 and K.S.A. 8-15,109, and amendments thereto.
(2) The term "motorized vehicle" shall include cars, trucks, all-terrain vehicles, work-site utility vehicles, golf carts, go-carts, and electric or gasoline-powered two-wheeled vehicles.
(3) Any person desiring to operate an unconventional motorized vehicle on department roads within state parks may purchase an annual unconventional motorized vehicle permit from the secretary.
(A) The term "unconventional motorized vehicle" shall include work-site utility vehicles and golf carts.
(B) Unconventional motorized vehicles shall be operated only from sunrise to sunset by a holder of a valid driver's license.
(g) Any person with a disability, as defined by K.S.A. 8-1,124 and amendments thereto, may annually request a permit from the secretary to utilize a motorized vehicle for accessing certain department lands and roads to provide access to recreational opportunities that would otherwise be unavailable to disabled persons. Each written request shall include the following:
(1) The name, address, and telephone number of the applicant;
(2) the name and location of the property to be accessed;
(3) the date or duration of the entry requested; and
(4) documentation of that person's disability in the form of a disabled accessible parking placard, disabled motor vehicle license plate, or disabled identification card issued by the director of vehicles of the department of revenue pursuant to K.S.A. 8-1,125 and amendments thereto, or similar documentation issued by another state.
(h) No person who is in possession of a motorized vehicle and has a permit to operate the motorized vehicle on department lands and roads shall perform either of the following:
(1) Allow another person to operate the vehicle on department lands and roads unless that other person has a permit issued by the department; or
(2) operate the vehicle on department lands and roads unless that person is in possession of a permit issued by the department.
(i) Each permit issued by the department that authorizes the operation of a motorized vehicle on department lands and roads shall expire on the last day of the calendar year in which the permit was issued, unless otherwise specified on the permit.
(j) A permit that authorizes the operation of a motorized vehicle on department lands and roads shall not be issued or shall be revoked by the secretary for any of the following reasons:
(1) The disability does not meet the requirements for the permit.
(2) The application is incomplete or contains false information.
(3) The disability under which the permit was issued no longer exists.
(4) The documentation of disability in the form of a disabled accessible parking placard, disabled motor vehicle license plate, or disabled identification card issued by the director of vehicles of the department of revenue pursuant to K.S.A. 8-1,125 and amendments thereto, or similar documentation issued by another state, has expired.
(5) The permit holder fails to comply with the terms and limitations of the permit or with the requirements specified in this regulation.
(6) The issuance or continuation of the permit would be contrary to the preservation of habitat or species located on or in department lands or waters.
(k) This regulation shall not apply to any motorized vehicle that is owned by the department or a designated agent and is used in the operation and maintenance of department lands and roads. (Authorized by and implementing K.S.A. 2015 Supp. 32-807; effective Dec. 4, 1989; amended Feb. 8, 2008; amended Sept 9, 2011; amended Nov. 28, 2016.)