Kan. Admin. Regs. § 26-50-26 - Nurse aide; out-of-state and allied health training equivalency
Current through Register Vol. 40, No. 39, September 30, 2021
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
26-50-26. Nurse aide; out-of-state and allied health training equivalency. (a) Any person may be employed in the state without taking the Kansas state test if the person meets the following requirements:
(1) Has been employed as a nurse aide in another state and is eligible for employment in that state; and
(2) has been determined by the secretary to have successfully completed training or passed a test, or both, that is equivalent to the training and state test required in Kansas for nurse aides.
(b) Each person qualified under subsection (a) shall receive written notification from the department of the following:
(1) Exemption from the requirement to take the state test for nurse aides;
(2) placement on the Kansas nurse aide registry; and
(3) eligibility for employment.
(c) Each of the individuals specified in this subsection shall be determined to have training equivalent to the nurse aide training. Any of the following individuals may be deemed eligible to take the state test, as specified in K.A.R. 26-50-24:
(1) The person is currently licensed to practice as an RN or LPN in another state and has no pending or current disciplinary actions against that individual's license.
(2) The person is currently licensed to practice as a licensed mental health technician in Kansas or another state and has no pending or current disciplinary action against that individual's license.
(3) The person's license to practice as an RN, LPN, or licensed mental health technician has become inactive within the 24-month period immediately before the individual applied for equivalency, and the person has no pending disciplinary actions against that person's license.
(4) The person is currently enrolled in an accredited practical or professional nursing program or mental health technician training program and has successfully completed basic skills courses covering personal hygiene, nutrition and feeding, safe transfer and ambulation techniques, normal range of motion and positioning, and a supervised clinical experience in geriatrics.
(d) Any person eligible under subsection (c) may receive written approval from the secretary or the secretary's designee to take the state test. Upon receiving this written approval, that person may be employed by an adult care home as a nurse aide trainee II to provide direct care under the direct supervision of an RN or LPN. That person shall be required to pass the state test as specified in K.A.R. 26-50-24 for certification and placement on the Kansas nurse aide registry, within one four-month period beginning on the date of approval to take the state test, to continue employment providing direct care. (Authorized by K.S.A. 2012 Supp. 39-925, 39-936, 39-1901, and 39-1908; implementing K.S.A. 2012 Supp. 39-936 and 39-1908; effective, T-26-6-28-13, June 28, 2013; effective Oct. 25, 2013.)