Kan. Admin. Regs. § 26-50-30 - Medication aide; program
Current through Register Vol. 40, No. 39, September 30, 2021
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
26-50-30. Medication aide; program. (a) Each medication aide shall meet the following requirements:
(1)(A) Be a certified nurse aide listed on the Kansas nurse aide registry with no pending or current prohibitions against that individual's certification; or
(B) be a qualified intellectual disability professional;
(2) successfully complete a course in medication administration approved by the secretary;
(3) pass the state test approved by the secretary; and
(4) be at least 18 years old.
(b) Each person shall meet one of the following requirements to be eligible to enroll in a medication aide course:
(1) Be a nurse aide listed on the Kansas nurse aide registry with no pending or current prohibitions against that individual's certification and have been screened and tested for reading and comprehension of the written English language at an eighth-grade level; or
(2) be a qualified intellectual disability professional employed by an intermediate care facility for people with intellectual disability.
(c) A qualified intellectual disability professional who is not listed as a certified nurse aide on the Kansas nurse aide registry shall be allowed to administer medications only to residents in an intermediate care facility for people with intellectual disability after the individual has completed a course in medication administration approved by the secretary and has passed the state test.
(d) Each medication aide course shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Consist of at least 75 hours, which shall include at least 25 hours of clinical instruction;
(2) be prepared and administered in accordance with the "Kansas certified medication aide curriculum" and the "Kansas certified medication aide course instruction manual," as adopted by reference in K.A.R. 26-50-12; and
(3) be sponsored by one of the following:
(A) A postsecondary school under the jurisdiction of the state board of regents;
(B) a state-operated institution for persons with intellectual disability; or
(C) a professional health care association approved by the secretary.
(e)No correspondence course shall be approved as a medication aide course.
(f)Each distance-learning offering and each computer-based educational offering of the medication aide course shall meet the requirements in subsection (d). (Authorized by K.S.A. 2012 Supp. 39-925, 39-936, 39-1901, and 39-1908; implementing K.S.A. 2012 Supp. 39-925, 39-936, and 39-1908 and K.S.A. 65-1,120; effective, T-26-6-28-13, June 28, 2013; effective Oct. 25, 2013.)