30-5-59 - Provider participation requirements
30-5-59. Provider participation requirements
The following shall be prerequisites for participation in and payment from the medicaid/medikan program. Any provider of services to foster care consumers, adoption support consumers, Kan Be Healthy consumers, or other consumers who have special needs may be excluded from these prerequisites if the secretary determines that a medically necessary item of durable medical equipment or a medically necessary service can be cost-efficiently obtained only from a provider not otherwise eligible to be enrolled within the current program guidelines.
(a) Enrollment. Each participating provider shall perform the following:
(1) Submit an application for participation in the medicaid/medikan program on forms prescribed by the secretary of the Kansas department of social and rehabilitation services;
(2) obtain and maintain professional or department-specified credentials determined by the secretary in the jurisdiction where the service is provided and for the time period when the service is provided and, if applicable, be certified, licensed, or registered by the appropriate professional credentialing authority;
(3) notify the Kansas department of social and rehabilitation services if any of the original information provided on the application changes during the term of participation in the medicaid/medikan program;
(4) after completing the necessary application forms and receiving notice of approval to participate from the department, enter into and keep a provider agreement with the Kansas department of social and rehabilitation services;
(5) notify the Kansas department of social and rehabilitation services when a change of provider ownership occurs, submit new ownership information on forms for application for participation in the medicaid/medikan program, and receive approval from the department for participation as a new provider before reimbursement for services rendered to medicaid/medikan program consumers is made;
(6) locate a consumer service representative who is available 24 hours per day and a business in Kansas or a border city that is accessible, in accordance with the applicable Americans with disabilities act guidelines, to the general public between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. at a minimum, excluding weekends and state and federal holidays, if applying to be a durable medical equipment or medical supply provider. Any pharmacy located in Kansas or a border city that has a medical provider number may enroll as a durable medical equipment provider even if no storefront is present; and
(7) be located in Kansas or a border city if applying to be a pharmacy, unless the pharmacy is providing services to children in the custody of the secretary of the Kansas department of social and rehabilitation services or to program cunsumers in emergency situations. The only exceptions to this requirement shall be the following:
(A) A pharmacy that is an approved contractor with the Kansas department of health and environment as a supplier of intravenous blood fraction products. This exception shall apply only to reimbursement for the intravenous blood fraction products; and
(B) a mail order pharmacy that serves medicaid consumers with a primary payor other than medicaid.
(b) Denial of application. If an application for participation in the medicaid/medikan program is denied, the applicant shall be notified in writing by the department.
(c) Continuing participation. Each participating provider shall perform the following:
(1) Comply with applicable state and federal laws, regulations, or other program requirements;
(2) comply with the terms of the provider agreement;
(3) submit accurate claims or cost reports;
(4) submit claims only for covered services provided to consumers;
(5) engage in ethical and professional conduct;
(6) provide goods, services, or supplies that meet professionally recognized standards of quality;
(7) submit a new application for participation in the medicaid/medikan program if a claim has been submitted for payment and if at least 18 months have elapsed since a previous claim for payment was submitted; and
(8) refund any overpayment to the program within a period of time specified by the secretary or lose eligibility to participate.
(d) Recordkeeping. Each participating provider shall perform the following:
(1) Maintain and furnish within the time frame specified in a request any information for five years from the date of service that the Kansas department of social and rehabilitation services, its designee, or any other governmental agency acting in its official capacity may request to ensure proper payment by the medicaid/medikan program, to substantiate claims for medicaid/medikan program payments, and to complete determinations of medicaid/medikan program overpayments. This information shall include the following:
(A) Fiscal, medical, and other recordkeeping systems;
(B) matters of the provider's ownership, organization, and operation, including documentation as to whether transactions occurred between related parties;
(C) documentation of asset acquisition, lease, sale, or other action;
(D) franchise or management arrangements;
(E) matters pertaining to costs of operation;
(F) amounts of income received, by source and purpose; and
(G) a statement of changes in financial position;
(2) use standardized definitions, accounting, statistics, and reporting practices that are widely accepted in the provider's field;
(3) permit the Kansas department of social and rehabilitation services, its designee, or any other governmental agency acting in its official capacity to examine any records and documents that are necessary to ascertain information pertinent to the determination of the proper amount of a payment due from the medicaid/medikan program; and
(4) agree to repay overpayment determinations resulting from the use of sampling techniques.
(e) Payment. Each participating provider shall meet the following conditions:
(1) Accept as payment in full, subject to audit when applicable, the amount paid by the medicaid/medikan program for covered services;
(2) not assign medicaid/medikan program claims or grant a power of attorney over or otherwise transfer right to payment for these claims except as set forth in 42 CFR 447.10, revised July 24, 1996, which is adopted by reference;
(3) not charge medicaid/medikan program consumers for services denied for payment by the medicaid/medikan program because the provider has failed to meet a program requirement including prior authorization;
(4) not charge any medicaid/medikan program consumer for noncovered services unless the provider has informed the consumer, in advance and in writing, that the consumer is responsible for noncovered services;
(5) not charge medicaid/medikan program consumers for services covered by the program, with the exception of claims liable to spenddown or copayment;
(6) submit claims for payment on claim forms approved and prescribed by the secretary; and
(7) be subject to the payment limitations specified in K.A.R. 30-5-70.
(f) Provider participation in the medicaid/medikan program may be disallowed for any of the reasons set forth in K.A.R. 30-5-60.(Authorized by and implementing K.S.A. 39-708c; effective May 1, 1981; amended May 1, 1985; amended May 1, 1986; amended May 1, 1988; amended July 1, 1989; amended Oct. 1, 1989; amended, T-30-12-28-89, Jan. 1, 1990; amended, T-30-2-28-90, Feb. 28, 1990; amended Aug. 1, 1990; amended Jan. 7, 1991; amended May 1, 1992; amended May 3, 1993; amended Dec. 30, 1994; amended April 1, 1995; amended Oct. 1, 2000; amended Jan. 1, 2004; amended Dec. 10, 2004.)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.