Kan. Admin. Regs. § 5-12-2 - Aquifer storage and recovery accounting

Current through Register Vol. 40, No. 39, September 30, 2021

(a) In addition to annual water use reporting requirements pursuant to K.S.A. 82a-732, and amendments thereto, on June 1 of each year the permit holder of an aquifer storage or recovery system shall report an accounting of water in the basin storage area to the chief engineer and to any groundwater management district identified in subsection (c) of this regulation. The annual report for the preceding calendar year shall account for all water entering and leaving the basin storage area and shall specifically compute the amount of recharge credits held in the basin storage area.
(b) The report shall be in the form prescribed by the chief engineer and shall address the items in the water balance for the basin storage area, which may include the following amounts:
(1) Natural and artificial recharge;
(2) groundwater inflow and outflow;
(3) evaporation and transpiration;
(4) groundwater water diversions from all nondomestic wells;
(5) infiltration from streams;
(6) groundwater discharge to streams;
(7) the calculated recharge credits; and
(8) any other information that in the opinion of the chief engineer is pertinent to the basin storage and surrounding areas.

The annual accounting shall specifically take into account the amounts of natural recharge, artificial recharge, groundwater inflow, groundwater outflow, evapotranspiration, and groundwater pumpage. Groundwater pumpage shall include recharge credits withdrawn as well as pumpage from all nondomestic wells in the basin storage area. The annual accounting shall include any additional items within a basin storage area that would be necessary to determine the amount of recharge credit available for recovery.

(c) If any part of the basin storage area is within the boundaries of a groundwater management district, the permit holder of any aquifer storage or recovery system shall furnish a copy of the annual report to the district board for comments by June 1 of each year.
(d) If a groundwater management district receives an annual report, the district may provide comments to the chief engineer if the comments are submitted to the chief engineer within 30 days of the district's receipt of the report identified in subsection (c) of this regulation.
(e) The permit holder may be required by the chief engineer to submit additional information pertinent to the system.


Kan. Admin. Regs. § 5-12-2
Authorized by K.S.A. 82a-706a; implementing K.S.A. 1999 Supp. 82a-711 and K.S.A. 82a-712; effective Sept. 22, 2000.

The following state regulations pages link to this page.

State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.