Kan. Admin. Regs. § 5-17-6 - Conditions on the term permit to exercise a contract to lease water

Current through Register Vol. 40, No. 39, September 30, 2021

(a) A contract to lease water may be exercised only if the chief engineer approves an application for a term permit to divert the leased water.
(b) The following conditions shall be imposed by the chief engineer on the term permit authorizing the use of water leased from a water bank:
(1) The maximum reasonable quantity of water that may be diverted per calendar year, as set forth in K.A.R. 5-17-17, and the maximum quantity of water that may be diverted during the term of the permit;
(2) the maximum rate of diversion;
(3) the term of the permit, which shall not exceed the length of the water bank charter plus three calendar years;
(4) the authorized point of diversion;
(5) the authorized place of use;
(6) the authorized use made of the leased water;
(7) a provision that the diversion shall not cause the impairment of any existing water rights;
(8) a provision that the diversion shall not cause an increase in depletion to any severely depleted groundwater aquifer or severely depleted stream course;
(9) a provision that the leased water shall be diverted from, and used within, the same hydrologic unit where the water rights were deposited; and
(10) a provision that any violation of a term permit used to exercise a lease shall make the permittee subject to the penalty provisions of K.A.R. 5-17-13.


Kan. Admin. Regs. § 5-17-6
Authorized by K.S.A. 2003 Supp. 82a-769; implementing K.S.A. 2003 Supp. 82a-763 and K.S.A. 2003 Supp. 82a-769; effective Aug. 13, 2004.

The following state regulations pages link to this page.

State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.