Kan. Admin. Regs. § 60-11-104a - Protocol requirements; prescription orders
Current through Register Vol. 40, No. 39, September 30, 2021
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
60-11-104a. Protocol requirements; prescription orders. (a) Each written protocol that an advanced practice registered nurse is to follow when prescribing, administering, or supplying a prescription-only drug shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Specify for each classification of disease or injury the corresponding class of drugs that the advanced practice registered nurse is permitted to prescribe;
(2) be maintained in either a loose-leaf notebook or a book of published protocols. The notebook or book of published protocols shall include a cover page containing the following data:
(A) The names, telephone numbers, and signatures of the advanced practice registered nurse and a responsible physician who has authorized the protocol; and
(B) the date on which the protocol was adopted or last reviewed; and
(3) be kept at the advanced practice registered nurse's principal place of practice.
(b) Each advanced practice registered nurse shall ensure that each protocol is reviewed by the advanced practice registered nurse and physician at least annually.
(c) Each prescription order in written form shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Include the name, address, and telephone number of the practice location of the advanced practice registered nurse;
(2) include the name, address, and telephone number of the responsible physician;
(3) be signed by the advanced practice registered nurse with the letters A.P.R.N.;
(4) be from a class of drugs prescribed pursuant to protocol; and
(5) contain the D.E.A. registration number issued to the advanced practice registered nurse when a controlled substance, as defined in K.S.A. 65-4101(e) and amendments thereto, is prescribed.
(d) Nothing in this regulation shall be construed to prohibit any registered nurse or licensed practical nurse or advanced practice registered nurse from conveying a prescription order orally or administering a drug if acting under the lawful direction of a person licensed to practice either medicine and surgery or dentistry or licensed as an advanced practice registered nurse.
(e) When used in this regulation, terms shall be construed to have the meanings specified in K.S.A. 65-1626, and amendments thereto. (Authorized by and implementing K.S.A. 65-1130, as amended by L. 2011, ch. 114, sec. 44; effective, T-60-9-12-88, Sept. 12, 1988; effective Feb. 13, 1989; amended May 7, 1990; amended Jan. 3, 1995; amended March 31, 2000; amended May 18, 2012.)