Kan. Admin. Regs. § 82-3-1218 - Plugging-monitoring status
Current through Register Vol. 40, No. 39, September 30, 2021
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
82-3-1218. Plugging-monitoring status. (a) Any operator may place a cavern storage well in plugging-monitoring status according to a plugging-monitoring status plan signed by a licensed professional engineer or licensed professional geologist. The operator shall submit the pluggingmonitoring status plan at least 60 days before placing the cavern storage well in plugging-monitoring status.
(b) Each operator submitting a plugging-monitoring status plan shall include the following:
(1) The portion of the safety and emergency response plan specified in K.A.R. 82-3-1216 that is applicable to the plugging-monitoring status plan;
(2) the saturated brine information, including the source, volume, transportation logistics, and time necessary to fill each cavern storage well;
(3) the storage well filling, monitoring, and reporting procedures used to ensure that saturated brine will stabilize the cavern;
(4) a list of additional storage well requirements and storage facility equipment, including wellhead gauges, surface brine tanks, pumps, and piping network used in implementing the plugging-monitoring status plan;
(5) a wellbore schematic of the storage well;
(6) a record of each historical internal and external mechanical integrity test, salt roof thickness evaluation log, cement evaluation log, casing inspection log, and sonar survey for the cavern storage well;
(7) a schedule to perform sonar surveys and internal and external mechanical integrity tests after the storage well is filled with saturated brine;
(8) a schedule to perform surface pressure monitoring at the wellhead to determine whether the cavern storage well has been stabilized;
(9) a cost estimate of converting the cavern storage well to plugging-monitoring status;
(10) updated maps specified in K.A.R. 82-3-1203(d);
(11) the updated local geological evaluation specified in K.A.R. 82-3-1208(h); and
(12) the updated layout of the storage facility specified in K.A.R. 82-3-1208(i).
(c) The operator shall perform additional testing or logging before placing the cavern storage well in plugging-monitoring status if required by the conservation division due to the absence of current logs or tests or due to a lack of cavern storage well mechanical integrity that could result in a threat to public safety, soil, or usable water.
(d) Each operator converting an active cavern storage well to plugging-monitoring status shall fill the cavern storage well with saturated brine pursuant to the plugging-monitoring status plan. The operator shall submit all documents, logs, and tests regarding the conversion to the conservation division within 30 days after the storage well is converted.
(e) Each operator of a cavern storage well in plugging-monitoring status shall monitor the surface wellhead pressure with a pressure transducer connected to a SCADA system. The operator shall, within 24 hours of actual knowledge, report to the director any unexpected increase or decrease in the surface wellhead pressure, including a description of whether the condition threatens public safety, usable water, or soil. The operator shall perform any additional testing, logging, or other measures required by the conservation division to determine whether the increase or decrease indicates potential harm to public safety, usable water, or soil.
(f) Each operator shall submit a report to the conservation division each year on or before April 1, on a form provided by the conservation division, listing the monitored wellhead pressure of each well in plugging-monitoring status.
(g) No operator shall convert a storage well in plugging-monitoring status to an active well without the director's prior written approval. (Authorized by and implementing K.S.A. 2011 Supp. 66-1274; effective Dec. 21, 2012.)