Kan. Admin. Regs. § 82-3-124 - Dual or multiple-completed wells
Current through Register Vol. 40, No. 39, September 30, 2021
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
82-3-124. Dual or multiple-completed wells. (a) When applicable. Production from more than one common source of supply through the same well bore shall be permitted if separation of each source of supply is maintained and after application and approval by the commission has been obtained.
(b) Application. Whenever an operator or producer desires to complete a well in more than one common source of supply, an original and one copy of an application requesting approval of dual or multiple completion shall be filed with the conservation division. The application shall be submitted to the commission on the form provided by the commission and shall be accompanied by the following:
(1) A description of the well with a plat attached showing the location of the subject well, the location of all other wells on the lease, the location of all offset wells within a ½-mile radius of the subject well, and for each of these wells, the name of the lessee of record or the operator. Well depths and producing sources of supply shall be properly designated on the plat;
(2) the names and upper and lower limits of the common sources of supply involved in the dual or multiple completion;
(3) a wireline log of the subject well;
(4) a complete description of the proposed installation including the size, weight, depth, and condition of all casing and tubing, the size of all drilled holes, the amount of cement used and the location of the tops of cement behind each casing string, the location or intended location of casing perforations, the type of packer to be used and the depth at which it is to be set. A diagram of the proposed installation shall be attached to the application;
(5) a description of the proposed plan for separately measuring and accounting for the production for each source of supply;
(6) a description of storage facilities;
(7) a description and diagram of the proposed wellhead to pipeline installation; and
(8) the applicant's license number.
(c) Notice. The applicant shall provide notice of the application pursuant to K.A.R. 82-3-135a.
(d) Commission supervision. All dual and multiple completions shall be made and operated under the direction of the commission. Packers shall not be installed, removed, reinstalled, or replaced in such a well, except upon notice to and with the approval of a representative of the commission. If one of the producing sources of supply is abandoned, the plugging of the abandoned source of supply shall be in accordance with the requirements of the commission.
(e) Plugging. If any common source of supply in an intended dual or multiple completion is found upon testing to be nonproductive, it shall immediately be plugged under the direction of a commission representative.
(f) Packer testing. Dual and multiple-completed wells shall be operated and maintained so as to ensure complete segregation of all fluids from the producing sources of supply. In monitoring installation of packers, and in inspecting dual and multiple-completed wells, tests shall be made by or at the direction of representatives of the commission to determine whether packer leakage exists. These tests may include bottom hole pressure measurements, chemical analysis of oil, water, and gas, and any other tests which indicate the effectiveness of the packer.
(g) Packer leakage. Whenever evidence of leakage of the packer in any dual or multiple-completed well is discovered, the packer shall be immediately repaired, a new packer shall be installed, or the affected producing source of supply shall be plugged.
(h) Allowable. The allowable for each source of supply shall be determined according to K.A.R. 82-3-203(b) or K.A.R. 82-3-312 for non-prorated common sources of supply or according to the basic proration order for prorated common sources of supply, or both.
(i) Packer installation. Operators shall notify the commission and the operators of offset producing leases at least 24 hours before installing a packer.
(j) Installation charge. An installation charge for each dual or multiple-completed well, and a charge for any inspection of such a well, shall be made to defray necessary expenses of supervision by the commission.
(k) Revocation. Failure of the operator of any dual or multiple-completed well to comply with any of the provisions of this regulation shall constitute grounds for the revocation of the order granting the dual or multiple completion, or the suspension or cancellation of current or future allowables of that well. If the order granting the dual or multiple completion of any well is revoked, all but one of the producing sources of supply shall immediately be sealed off under the direction of the commission.
(l) Approval. Tentative approval for dual or multiple-completed wells may be granted by the commission based on extenuating circumstances. Final approval may be granted after proper application. (Authorized by K.S.A. 55-602; implementing K.S.A. 55-605, 55-706, 55-603; effective, T-83-44, Dec. 8, 1982; effective May 1, 1983; amended, T-85-51, Dec. 19, 1984; amended May 1, 1985; amended May 1, 1987; amended May 1, 1988; amended May 8, 1989; amended April 23, 1990; amended Nov. 2, 2007.)