Sec. 902 KAR 23:010 - Breast Cancer Research and Education Grant Program
§ 902 KAR 23:010. Breast Cancer Research and Education Grant Program
RELATES TO: KRS 141.446, 194A.095, 211.580, 211.585, 211.590(1), (4)
NECESSITY, FUNCTION, AND CONFORMITY: KRS 211.590(3) authorizes the Breast Cancer Research and Education Trust Fund Board to promulgate administrative regulations necessary to carry out the provisions of KRS 211.580 to 211.590. KRS 211.590(2) requires the Breast Cancer Research and Education Trust Fund Board to promulgate administrative regulations to establish a competitive grant program to provide funding to organizations offering programs or services in the areas of breast cancer research, education, awareness, treatment, and screening. This administrative regulation establishes the Breast Cancer Research and Education Grant Program.
Section 1. Definitions.
(1) "Applicant" means a not-for-profit entity, educational institution, or government agency in Kentucky offering programs or services as described in KRS 211.590(2) and applying for a grant pursuant to this administrative regulation.
(2) "Board" means the Breast Cancer Research and Education Trust Fund Board created by KRS 211.585.
(3) "Funding" means a financial grant from the Breast Cancer Research and Education Trust Fund created by KRS 211.580.
Section 2. Application Process.
(1) An applicant may apply or reapply each year for grant funding to support the applicant's program or service in the areas established by KRS 211.590(2).
(2) To apply for grant funding, an applicant shall mail to the board:
(a) A completed "Breast Cancer Research and Education Trust Fund, Application for Research and Education Grant Program" grant application form:
1. Postmarked on or before the date specified in the applicable grant notice; and
2. Addressed to the Cabinet for Health and Family Services, Department for Human Support Services, Division of Women's Physical and Mental Health, 275 East Main Street, Frankfort, Kentucky 40621; and
(b) A project description that includes the following information:
1. The need of the program or service;
2. The goals and objectives including how many people will be affected and in what geographic area;
3. The outcomes directly related to the changes or impact of the program or service;
4. An implementation plan describing how the objectives will be met;
5. A timeline for implementation of the proposed program or service;
6. Plans designed to measure the success of the program or service; and
7. Intent to provide semi-annual and year-end progress reports documenting satisfactory progress toward meeting the grant objectives; and
(c) The following financial information:
1. A detailed budget of requested funds; and
2. A description of any other sources of funds for the program or service including in-kind participation.
(3) A faxed or incomplete application shall not be considered for funding.
Section 3. Duties of the Board.
(1) The board shall:
(a) Hold meetings and conduct board business pursuant to KRS 211.585(9);
(b) Advertise a grant on the Cabinet for Health and Family Services Web site including:
1. A postmark date for submission of an application;
2. The mailing address for the application as specified in Section 2(2)(a)2 of this administrative regulation; and
3. An anticipated grant award date;
(c) Review and score applications based on the following criteria:
1. Relevancy to the mission of the Breast Cancer Research and Education Trust Fund;
2. Offer of a program or service in the areas of:
d. Treatment; or
3. Proposal to serve the medically underserved population;
4. Proposal to address the prioritized list of programs and research projects the board has identified; and
5. Enhancement but not duplication of a program or service currently provided in the same geographic area;
(d) Give first preference to programs and priorities for grant awards according to the following priorities established by the board in accordance with KRS 211.590(2)(a) and (b):
1. Disparate populations;
2. Never and rarely screened; and
3. Translational research in clinical demonstration projects; and
(e) To the extent funds are available, award a Breast Cancer Research and Education Grant:
1. To a selected applicant; and
2. Notify the applicant of the award decision:
a. Within ninety (90) days after application deadline;
b. In writing; and
c. By certified mail.
(2) The board's decision for award selection shall be final.
(3) The successful applicant shall sign and return a grant agreement:
(a) To the board; and
(b) Postmarked within two (2) weeks of receipt.
(4) If a research grant is awarded, the grant shall be contingent upon a grant recipient's appropriate Institutional Review Board approval if applicable.
Section 4. Grant Objectives Reporting.
(1) A grant recipient shall provide semi-annual and year-end progress reports to the board as specified in Section 2(2)(b)7.
(2) A grant recipient that is not making satisfactory progress toward meeting grant objectives, as determined by the board, shall be notified in writing that objectives are not being met. The grant recipient shall:
(a) Submit to the board within thirty (30) days of receiving the notice a corrective action plan addressing the objectives that are not being met; and
(b) Reimburse the board for grant funds received to date if the corrective action plan is not implemented.
Section 5. Incorporation by Reference.
(1) "The Breast Cancer Research and Education Trust Fund, Application for Research and Education Grant Program", edition 12/06, is incorporated by reference.
(2) This material may be inspected, copied, or obtained, subject to applicable copyright law, at the Cabinet for Health and Family Services, 275 East Main Street, Frankfort, Kentucky 40621, Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.(Recodified from 920 KAR 3:010, eff. 4/12/2017; Crt eff. 11-5-2019.)
STATUTORY AUTHORITY: KRS 194A.050(1), 211.590(2), (3)
The following state regulations pages link to this page.