Md. Code Regs. 10.15.08.02 - Definitions
Current through Register Vol. 48, No. 26, December 17, 2021
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
A. In this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) “Aging of cheese” means the storing and maturing of cheese under controlled conditions of temperature and humidity.
(2) “Aging period” means the aging of raw milk cheese for at least 60 calendar days at a temperature of not less than 35°F.
(3) “Aging room” means the area where the aging of cheese takes place.
(4) “Dairy farm” means a place or premises:
(a) Where one or more lactating animals, including cows, goats, sheep, water buffaloes, or other hooved mammals, are kept for milking purposes; and
(b) From which the milk is sold or offered for sale.
(5) “Department” means the Maryland Department of Health.
(6) “Departmental inspection area” means the area in which the Department routinely makes inspections under Health-General Article, Title 21, Subtitle 4, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(7) “Drug residue” means a substance that prevents the growth of bacteria in milk products.
(8) “Farmstead cheese” means a cheese made on a dairy farm:
(a) Using only the raw milk produced by the herd or flock on the dairy farm; and
(b) That meets the definitions and standards of a hard cheese, as set forth in 21 CFR Part 133.
(9) “Industry plant sampler” means:
(a) An individual responsible for the collection of official samples for regulatory purposes at a plant as outlined in the Grade “A” Pasteurized Milk Ordinance, Appendix N; and
(b) An employee of the plant who is evaluated a least once every 2-year period by a sampling surveillance officer or a properly delegated sampling surveillance official.
(10) “Milk” means the milk of a cow, goat, or other hooved mammals.
(11) “Official laboratory” means a laboratory that is a biological, chemical, or physical laboratory, which is under the direct supervision of the Department.
(12) “Officially designated laboratory” means a laboratory that is a:
(a) Commercial laboratory authorized to do official work by the Department; or
(b) Milk industry laboratory officially designated by the Department for the examination of producer samples of raw milk for drug residue.
(13) “Plant” means any place, premise, or establishment where milk or milk products are collected, handled, processed, stored, packaged or otherwise prepared for distribution as a farmstead cheese.
(14) “Raw milk” means unpasteurized milk.
(15) “Sanitation inspection” means an evaluation of the milk plant and associated processes in accordance with this chapter.
(16) “Sanitization” means:
(a) The application of any effective method or substance to properly clean surfaces for the destruction of pathogens and other microorganisms, as far as is practicable; and
(b) A treatment that:
(i) Does not adversely affect the equipment, the milk, milk product, or the health of consumers; and
(ii) Is acceptable to the Department.