14.06.02.01 - Definitions
A. As used in this chapter, the following terms have the meanings indicated.
B. Terms Defined.
(1) "Office" means the Office of the Public Defender, including a district office of the Public Defender.
(2) "District public defender" means:
(a) The attorney-at-law appointed by the Public Defender to be in charge of a district comprising one or more political subdivisions conforming to the geographic boundaries of the District Court districts established in Courts and Judicial Proceedings Article, § 1-602, Annotated Code of Maryland; or
(b) A division chief of a Statewide division within the office designated by the Public Defender.
(3) "Federal fee maximum" has the meaning stated in § B(6) of this regulation.
(4) "Panel attorney" means any attorney licensed to practice law in Maryland and who qualifies and is eligible for appointment as counsel to an indigent person as defined by Article 27A, Annotated Code of Maryland.
(5) "Public Defender" means the head of the Office of the Public Defender.
(6) "Rate at which federal panel attorneys are compensated" means those rates of compensation for panel attorneys assigned to represent indigent federal criminal defendants, promulgated at 18 U.S.C. § 3006A (Criminal Justice Act).
The following state regulations pages link to this page.