Nev. Admin. Code § 446.076 - Methods for preventing contamination of food
Current through August 4, 2021
NRS 439.200, 446.940
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
NAC 446.076 Methods for preventing contamination of food. (NRS 439.200, 446.940)
1. Food employees shall wash their hands and arms as provided in this chapter.
2. Except when washing fruits and vegetables or as provided in subsection 4, food employees must not contact exposed, ready-to-eat food with their bare hands and shall use suitable utensils, including, without limitation, deli tissue, spatulas, tongs, single-use gloves or dispensing equipment when handling exposed, ready-to-eat food.
3. Food employees shall minimize bare hand and arm contact with exposed food that is not in a ready-to-eat form.
4. Food employees not serving a highly susceptible population may contact exposed, ready-to-eat food with their bare hands if:
(a) The permit holder obtains prior approval from the health authority;
(b) Written procedures are maintained in the food establishment, made available to the health authority upon request and include, without limitation:
(1) For each bare-hand contact procedure, a listing of the specific ready-to-eat foods that are authorized to be touched by bare hands; and
(2) Diagrams and other information showing that handwashing facilities installed, located, equipped and maintained as provided in this chapter are in an easily accessible location and in close proximity to the work station where the bare-hand contact procedure is conducted; and
(c) A written employee health policy details how the food establishment complies with the provisions of this chapter. Such a policy must include, without limitation, documentation that:
(1) Food employees acknowledge they have been informed to report information about their health and activities as they relate to gastrointestinal symptoms and diseases transmissible through food and comply with exclusionary orders;
(2) Food employees acknowledge they have received training in bare-hand contact risk, proper handwashing and fingernail maintenance, when and where to wash their hands, jewelry exclusion and good hygienic practices;
(3) Food employees wash hands before and during the preparation of food as necessary to prevent cross-contamination during all hours of operation when ready-to-eat foods are being prepared;
(4) Food employees contacting ready-to-eat food with bare hands use at least two of the following control measures to provide additional safeguards to hazards associated with bare-hand contact:
(I) Double handwashing;
(II) The use of a nail brush;
(III) The application of hand antiseptic; or
(IV) The use of other control measures approved by the health authority; and
(5) Corrective action is taken when any of the provisions of this section are not followed.
(Added to NAC by Bd. of Health by R069-10, eff. 12-18-2013)