Nev. Admin. Code § 446.159 - Protection of food from contamination: Bulk food
Current through August 4, 2021
NRS 439.200, 446.940
The following state regulations pages link to this page.
State regulations are updated quarterly; we currently have two versions available. Below is a comparison between our most recent version and the prior quarterly release. More comparison features will be added as we have more versions to compare.
NAC 446.159 Protection of food from contamination: Bulk food. (NRS 439.200, 446.940)
1. Except for nuts in the shell and whole, raw fruits and vegetables that are intended for hulling, peeling or washing by the consumer before consumption, food on display must be protected from contamination by the use of:
(b) Counter, service line or salad bar food guards;
(c) Display cases; or
(d) Other effective means.
2. Bulk food containers in the retail display area must be constructed from safe materials which are resistant to corrosion, nonabsorbent, smooth, easy to clean and durable under conditions of normal use.
3. Containers of bulk pet food and bulk nonfood items must be separated from food items by a barrier or open space of not less than 12 inches (30 centimeters).
4. Bulk food in retail stores must be dispensed only from containers that are protected by individual covers which fit closely and close automatically. Access by customers to bulk food must be controlled to avoid the introduction of contaminants. Means considered suitable include:
(a) Providing a product module depth of not more than 18 inches (45 centimeters);
(b) Locating product modules with access from the top so that there is at least 30 inches (75 centimeters) between the access point and the floor; or
(c) If the product module access point is less than 30 inches (75 centimeters) above the floor, providing access from the side or at an angle if, when the product module is open, the cover extends across the surface of the product and provides overhead protection.
5. Tethers for utensils used for bulk food must be designed to be easily removable from the product module for cleaning.
(Added to NAC by Bd. of Health by R069-10, eff. 12-18-2013)